This is the Message Centre for LL Waz

Diary of a day

Post 1

LL Waz

in September.

Wake 4.00am, still dark.
Crickets and frogs are fading out, howler monkeys and oropendolas revving up.
Dawn start down the Madre De Dios.
Speed down river running with the current, macaws pass across the lightening sky in pairs, tiger herons fish on the bank.
Boca Colorado; rendevous with 4x4 pick-up taxis.
Dirt road convoy, gullies crossed on planks of wood.
Through the shanty town, straight over the gravel bank, unload bags among the crowds at the river edge.
Quick ferry-canoe across the Inambari.
Scatter photographing Sulphers and daggerwings on the river bank.
Rounded up to board the mini-bus.
Join the Interoceanica Sur 26, wind up and up and up the Andes.
Lush and green gives way to dry and brown.
Cross the highest pass in silence.
Revive briefly to watch an alpaca herd.
Descend to 3,400 metres, light going
Arrive 9.00pm in the bright lights of Cusco.
10.00pm asleep.

Diary of a day

Post 2

You can call me TC

Why is everything around me these days about this part of the world? Somehow I think the Andes are calling to me.

Diary of a day

Post 3

Boots

Lovely. Hope all good with you.
Take care
Boots

Diary of a day

Post 4

LL Waz

TC, really? Do you think you might go? They're pretty impressive.

Boots smiley - smileysmiley - smiley, fantastic to see you! All is very good. Hope it is with you too.

Diary of ... about ten minutes.

Post 5

LL Waz

I'm stuck, I can't think of a day I can remember from start to finish that's worth writing about in a start to finish fashion. And S is distractingly doing a shopping list. That needs listening to. He tends to get more than we can get through before the best-befores. Ah, a break, he's gone to examine the cupboard. Oh, spoke too soon, he's reciting the contents out loud. We have accumulated seven packets of ground almonds. ? Photocopying? Can't get that in Sainsburys. Yoghurt - we seem to be back to Sainsburys. Now gone to check the biscuit stock. He's spotted poppadoms! Now they're in the planned menu. Greek currants, they're for the chickens. Problem: Guardian or Independant? It's Saturday, so Independant. Just remembered we must stock up on survival/emergency bars. That's Trackers and Harvest something or others on the list. Another reason to keep an eye on the list is S's tendency to buy three of things at a time. Or more. There are six pink grapefruit squash bottles in the larder and I don't know how many cans of sweetcorn. It's gone quiet - what's he up to. "What're you up to?" He's reading a recipe. A curry recipe. That's for the past-use-by steak. It needs almonds! Maybe we'll get through some of those packets. Quiet again. I shall finish here and go and take a more involved role.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for LL Waz

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more