A Conversation for Mormonism - A Question and Answer Session

The Same Jesus?

Post 1

Researcher 158496

You stated...
"However, Mormons read the King James version of the Bible and study and worship the same Christ that other denominations believe in."

Yes, the Mormons readily discuss "Jesus", but is this the real "Jesus" of the Bible? It at first appears so. I have had discussions with Mormons and we are both saying the same words, but when we begin to discuss the meanings behind the words, I found that we are saying different things. Mormons use Christian terms, but ascribe different meanings to them.

Let's briefly look at "Jesus" as an example...

1-The Jesus of the Bible is prayed to (Acts 7:55-60, 1 Cor 1:1-2, Zech 13:9)

2-The Jesus of the Bible is worshiped (Matt 2:2,11;14:33;28:9, John 9:35-38, Heb 1:16)

3-The Jesus of the Bible is called God (John 20:28, Heb 1:8)

4-The Mormon View of Jesus:
-Eternal Intelligence
-Created
-Sinner
-Became a god (through physical sexual relations with Mary)
-One of many gods
-Trinity = three gods
-Married, Polygamist
-Earned Salvation
-Evolves, Changes

The Biblical Christian view of Jesus:
-Eternal God
-Eternally Existing, Uncreated
-Sinless
-Eternally God
-One true God
-Trinity = one God
-Single
-No need for Salvation
-Immutable

Mormon doctrine reduces Jesus Christ to the level of man and exalts man to the level of God.

As a Christian, I can pray to Jesus, not just through Him. I can call Jesus my Lord God and worship Jesus equally with the Father. Believing in a counterfeit Jesus who preaches a counterfeit gospel yields only a counterfeit salvation.

The Same Jesus?

Post 2

Cat

I think the person you spoke to didn't really understand the nature of Jesus.

He is the God of the Old Testement.

God, the Father, is literally his father. He is the Only Begotten of the Father in the Flesh.

Never Sinned, He was without sin and therefore perfect.

We all have to potential to become as God the Father is, but not without salvation and grace through Jesus Christ

Suspect He was married as he could not be considered a teacher according to the customs of the time, but there is no proof.

He is part of the trinity. God, the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. Three seperate beings who are one in purpose.

I hope this helps.

The Same Jesus?

Post 3

Solomon

It is not about religion, it's about relationship. Religiosity seems to have the tendancy to make people feel like they can't do anything, which in turn pushes many away from GOD rather than towards GOD. The enemy uses Religion to do just that. There are so many 'man made' religions out here, but what is sad, is that these people that are brainwashed with lies and half truths do not realize that the enemy has his hand in it. He wants GODS children to be kept from the truth. WHY? some will ask. Because then they won't know the ONLY way to the FATHER is thru the SON! There are not 'many different' ways to the FATHER. Anyone that is familiar with the WORD OF GOD knows this to be a fact. OUR FATHER does not lie, therefore, what is in his WORD is what he means and because he has and never will change, his WORD will never change.

I had to get that out first before replying to your posting.......

They believe that JESUS was a sinner? That he became a god after having sexual relations with Mary? Who taught them these lies? What bible do they get this information out of? This saddens me Researcher 158496 (sorry but I don't know your name), so I know that this really saddens our FATHER who sees and knows ALL THINGS. Oh, how OUR FATHER loves us soooo very much and to see all of this misleading information and out right lies being taught to his children must grieve him. The only thing that we can do for our fellow brothers and sisters is pray and intercede for them, asking the LORD to have mercy on them and rebuking the enemy and his lies and attacks.

This is the first time that I have responded on this sight but I see that this is going to be very interesting and I am happy to see that someone is on the same page as myself. Thank you for sharing your knowledge..............AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU!

The Same Jesus?

Post 4

Sirona ( 1x7-4+(7x6)-(sqrt9) = 42 )

Stated: "They believe that JESUS was a sinner? That he became a god after having sexual relations with Mary? Who taught them these lies? What bible do they get this information out of? This saddens me Researcher 158496 (sorry but I don't know your name), so I know that this really saddens our FATHER who sees and knows ALL THINGS. Oh, how OUR FATHER loves us soooo very much and to see all of this misleading information and out right lies being taught to his children must grieve him. The only thing that we can do for our fellow brothers and sisters is pray and intercede for them, asking the LORD to have mercy on them and rebuking the enemy and his lies and attacks. "

Eh, no.

As a former Mormon, let me just show the errors in these statements:

I don't know WHERE ANYONE got the idea that Jesus had sexual relations with Mary. That's insane.

The Mormons have Thirteen Articles of Faith, which outline the basic beliefs definining Mormonism.
The first article of faith states:
We Believe in God, the Eternal Father and in his Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
In other words: Mormons believe in God. God is the ONLY God. The Father of All, INCLUDING Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ was a man. He was fathered by God (Heavenly Father. Feel free to ask about the Plan of Salvation if you'd like clarification on that whole deal.) He is *not* God. Being that he isn't God, he is NOT worshipped, nor prayed to (Which is seen as a form of Worship). Mormons pray in his name. They pray because he taught that this was God's wish, taught by Jesus. The Holy Ghost is something completely different, and is just that: A Ghost. A Holy Ghost - A messanger sent by the father to give us that nagging feeling (The Still Small Voice) called a conscience. It was the Holy Ghost that transformed into a Dove during Jesus' Baptism.

Now, as far as the original sin, any Mormon should also know the *second* article of faith:
We believe that men should be punished for their own sins and not for Adam's Transgressions.
Non-whites were banned from the Church until the 70's because in First Nephi (Or maybe second...), the lines of Laman and Lemuel were given dark skin by God. They followed the, er, evil ways, I suppose one could say. It was believed until then that they were still evil. However, I suppose someone finally realized the hypocrisy of all this and revoked the whole insane idea. But non-whites were all seen as having been descended from Laman and Lemuel, Lehi's *bad* sons.
(I also believe that later in the Book of Mormon, Lamanites, as they were called, and Nephites joined together as a new affiliation/tribe/whatever against a bad sect of Lamanites. But this was a few hundred or thousand years later and what not. Third Nephi, I believe.)

And finally, Mormon's ARE Christian, in my humble opinion. This all depends on how Christianity is defined, but to me, I see Christianity as belief that Jesus Christ is the saviour. 'Nuff said.

I'm not Mormon, anymore, however. Nor do I consider myself Christian. I just feel the beliefs of Mormons should be *clarified* before misinterpretation and prejudice come about... And for the information of anyone who'd like a bit more insight about me, I'm almost 16, and have gone through a number of religions in my life, and have, for now, decided to take the "I Don't Know" stance, because I don't think anyone really knows enough about anything. Of course, some might say I have no faith. I might also call them arrogant, for my own reasons.

~Sirona
(BTW, I could be wrong. About anything. Feel free to argue, I enjoy it.)

The Same Jesus?

Post 5

Researcher 176941

Although I'm not a Mormon I empathise with Sirona's view that LDS
are way over categorized by most as members of some kind of cult.

Just becuase they have a work ethic and a general preference to refrain from alcohol doesn't make them cultural zealots.

They beleive in Christ for what thats worth, and they do missionay work across the world. I don't know the details of their missionary programs, but I would wager that they provide more help then harm to people in need.

I define my faith based on what I beleive in not based on the fact that I ascribe to some single faith and that everyone else is going to go to hell.

The Same Jesus?

Post 6

<>

This is what used to appeal to me about the LDS church.

They actually didn't really believe in Hell... not as Eternal Damnation, anyway.

According to the Mormon belief, all those who lived "good" lives will go to Paradise, and those who lived "bad" lives go to Spirit Prison. In both places, one has the opportunity to learn the Gospel again, because (I think) it is believed that the Veil of Forgetting (That which makes us forget what happened before we were born) is taken away. Then comes the Second Coming of Christ. Jesus comes again, everyone is ressurected, gets a new physical body, one that is perfect. We're immortal, blah blah blah. Then we're judged, and we go to one of the three levels of Heaven. The Celestial Kingdom, the Telestial Kingdom (I *think*), and the Terrestrial Kingdom. (This is where I think it's a bit off, personally, but that's their belief.) The "bad" people are sent off with Satan and the one-third who were cast off before Creation and all that (For more info ask about the Plan of Salvation) to wander for 1,000 years. Then, you know, we're all brought back together and, er, whatever, I guess. All slightly illogical to me, but the lack of Eternal Damnation (because, I believe, if there is a God the way the Christians teach it, He's forgiving, and would never subject his children to an eternal punishment) was really something that I liked a lot, and still do.

~Sirona

The Same Jesus?

Post 7

Cat

I don't think that you have it quite right. I will try to explain it.

At the 2nd comming, those who have died will be resurrected and given a perfect body. Christ will then reign for 1,000 years and Satan and his hosts will not be allowed to do what they do. Then after 1,000 years, Satan will be releaced for one last chance to do his thing. After that everyone will be given their resurrected body and the final judgement will take place and the earth will receive its paradical glory. Murderers and those having a perfect knowledge of Christ will be sent off to outer darkeness with Satan and his hosts. The rest will go to the 3 degrees of glory that were mentioned. Damnation comes from not being in the Celestial kingdom and being without the presence of God.

If anyone else can explain it better - feel free.

The Same Jesus?

Post 8

Cat

>>Murderers and those having a perfect knowledge of Christ will be sent off to outer darkeness with Satan and his hosts.

Goofed when I wrote this it should be - Murderers and those having a perfect knowledge of Christ, who deny him, will be sent off to outer darkeness with Satan and his hosts.

Sorry

The Same Jesus?

Post 9

Pyrex Muse of Unbreakable Space-age Wonder Glass, Student of Life, Keeper of the Seven Keys of Ventuslor

But then mormons also believe that Jesus and Satan are brothers (or is that Jahovas witnesses?) Oh anyway I believe that The three are one, but I also believe that everyone has a different relationship with GOD. You see the quote "GOD will provide HIMSELF a lamb" does not mean he will provide a lamb for them to sacrafice, it means he wil provide HIMSELF (AS) a lamb (Jesus). I dont know how you can deny that Mormonism is not a cult. How do you explain the temples? They are filled with gross evil. You have to be a member to enter and do penance to go further in as you go further in you go higher in the stages of heven.
Jesus Christ paid for all sins forever when he was put on the cross, HIS LAST WORDS were "IT IS FINISHED" what more do you need. Then he gave up the Ghost, this is the HOLY GHOST. He than went to sit on his fathers right hand. If there is one that does not accept him in our life here on earth when they get to hevean he does not save them there, they are damnned. EVERYONE gets a chance to believe on him on this earth, and if they dont, he will say "Begone for I know you not" He cannot intercede on our behalf, unless we accept him here. So praying for people who have died and did not accept him is pointless. I believe that GOD is completely logical, and so far all I get from the KJV shows it to be true, oh and that is another thing, Mormons do not use the TRUE KJV they use a perversion of it, AKA the New King James Version. ANYWAY, I have work to do so I will sign off for now.
-Greg

The Same Jesus?

Post 10

Cat

What gross evil are temples filled with? BTW you don't "do penance to go further in" nor "as you go further in you go higher in the stages of heven". Also everyone who is born on the earth does not get a chance to hear about Christ. Billions of people have been born and died without ever hearing that there ever was a person such as Jesus (China, Japan, Africa, Middle East and Early North and South America come to mind). Also my KJV of the Bible states that it is the Authorized King James Version. I have never heard about a New KJV. One last thing, 1st Corinthians 15:29 talks about baptism for the dead. If it is pointless why is it in the New Testament?

The Same Jesus?

Post 11

Pyrex Muse of Unbreakable Space-age Wonder Glass, Student of Life, Keeper of the Seven Keys of Ventuslor

The evils in the temples are idolitry. As for baptism for the dead:[1Cor 15:29] Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?
If you can understand the english language it means WHATS THE POINT?

I apologize and I need to rephrase my statement concerning everyone having a chance to believe. In the early North America and other places where they did not have christianity and never heard of Jesus, They believed ind GOD, they saw the glory of GOD in all things, and they were saved for their belief. Japan? There is christianity there, and In the middle east, and in Africa.

And one more thing how can you say that GOD, JESUS, and THE HOLY GHOST are not one when: [1John 5:7.3] For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

The Word is the SON (JESUS)in that he is sent to the earth by GOD to be the LAMB to be sacraficed for our sins. He was GOD manifest in the flesh and gave the WORD to us, so that in believing the WORD we might be saved.

And the Authurized KJV is not the same as the KJV The New KJV is just another type used by mormons that I know.

The Same Jesus?

Post 12

The Bible has been translated so many times that the exact meanings of each verses are lost, but one must take the entire idea of the whole thing.

Anyway, the Mormons believe that one must be Baptised at some point to get into Heaven. Now, this point may come during our time here, after death while in Paradise by someone on this Earth, or after the Second coming.

<<<>

Jesus Christ ALSO told John the Baptist to Baptise him, because all people should be Baptised in the name of the father.

And, er, if they're three separate entities, how did Jesus sit at his father's right hand? Don't take anything literally. "The three are one." That can be interpreted in a number of ways.

Eh, and, I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say Catholicism isn't a cult. And yet, only Catholics are allowed to take Communion or Sacrement or however you want to call it. Yes? So what's the difference between that and allowing people into the Temples?

And, er, if you've never been Mormon, you've never been in a Temple. If you've never been in a Temple, you know nothing of whether or not there's "evil" inside it. As far as it being Idolatry, well, I can't say I completely disagree with that. But the Catholics have the Vatican. And the Monasteries have their wealth, no?

Just out of curiosity, PyRex, what religion do you consider yourself? Are you aware of any counts of hypocrisy as you criticise the Mormon religion? I think any religion has some hypocrisy to it, myself. All organised religion ever did was separate, not bring together. Exclusion as opposed to Inclusion. Only fully inclusive religion I've ever known is Unitarian Universalism.

~Sirona

The Same Jesus?

Post 13

Cat

I can honestly tell you that there is no idol worship in the temples. There are no idols in the temples to worship. As for the baptism for the dead thing - it is saying what is the point of baptizing for the dead if there is no resurrection.

>>Japan? There is christianity there, and In the middle east, and in Africa.>> There is now, but there wasn't 1000 years ago. Also if simply believing in God was all it took, why was it necessary for Jesus to Come anyway. If it was to pay for our sins, why did he teach and why was it necessary for the apostles to establish his church everywhere they could?

I still don't see whay you mean by the New KJV of the Bible. The KJV is the KJV - the one that King James of England had translated into english and put together. It is not different now then it was then.

God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost are one - in purpose. They are three seperate beings. If not the statement that Jesus makes on the cross "Father why has thou forsaken me." makes no sence. How can you forsake yourself. I would also like to know how Jesus sits on the righthand of God if he and God are the same person.

The Same Jesus?

Post 14

"Eh, and, I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say Catholicism isn't a cult. And yet, only Catholics are allowed to take Communion or Sacrement or however you want to call it. Yes? So what's the difference between that and allowing people into the Temples?"

I do not agree with you about Catholicism, it is a cult, full of idol worship(The virgin Mary ring a bell?) and cult symbols (halos, which have their beginnings with Nimrod, and not suprisingly the catholic religion is decended from that), just look in some of the catedrals! I know there are idols (Joseph Smith) and symbols (a PENTAGRAM) in the mormon temples because you can go into them until they are dedicated, I have been in a temple, Spokane WA, my dad went to the one in Salt Lake before it's dedication.

[Gen 6:7] And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
[Gen 6:8] But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
In these verses you can see that even though JESUS had not died on the cross someone believed in GOD, and found grace in his eyes. JESUS was the sacrafice, but also the giver of GOD's WORD so that people would have a way to know of GOD.

The FATHER, THE SON and the HOLY GHOST are ONE. They are three manifestations of the same Entity.

Another thing I noticed is that you didnt deny that mormons believe that Satan and Jesus are brothers.

-excerpt from Mormon Claims Answered, by Marvin Cowan-
"The purpose of all the LDS genealogical work is so they can provide proxy sealing ordinances, baptism, ordination and endowments for their dead relatives and thus help exalt or save them."

Basically they are working for their own and others' salvation even if the "others" are dead! Hebrews 9:27 says, "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" (This shows that after death comes judgment. The dead aren't waiting in some kind of mormon purgatory for someone to be baptized for them and save them. Our opportunity for believing ends with death and no one else can do it for us.)
2 Corinthians 6:2 says, "...behold, now is the accepted time: behold, now is the day of salvation." Joseph Smith's doctrine is that water baptism is essential for salvation and "spirits" (of the dead) can't be baptized in water so their only way of salvation is for a living person to do it for them.

Baptism is NOT needed to gain entrance to heven, all baptism is is a ceremony to show your belief in JESUS's sacraficefor your sins. NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS.

In closing, as I have to go, I am a member of the Church (the marrage of christ to the church) I am a member of that Church, which is the bride of Christ. We are not an Orginization, but an organism. Our Church lives, and grows. We meet in homes as that is how we are meant to meet.

The Same Jesus?

Post 15

Cat

What is the diference between Idols and statues. There are statues in some of the temples but they are there as art, just as the paintings on the walls are there as art. We certainly don't worship Joseph Smith. He was a prophet and founder of our church, but we worship God and Jesus Christ. As for the Pentagrams - where did you see them? I certainly don't recall seeing them anywhere, but then again, I don't really remember seeing any statues in the temples either.

The Same Jesus?

Post 16

Statues are a graven image, if you can honestly say that they are there just for art then I must be dreaming because they get a bit more attention than a normal or precious piece of art. You may not realize it but they do worship Joseph Smith, and Brigham Young (Who, without pride, I tell you I am a decendent of.) They are dead men that created a dead religion.
There was a pentagram mosaic on the floor in the entrance area. Personally I doubt that that was there just by chance. I mean come on, they took GOD's word and perverted it why stop there, bring in the cult, and more.
There is a couple, the guy was a member of the mormon church at birth and his family it rather influential. When he fell in love with a girl from our church his parents found out he was converting, they disowned him and he has had threats against his life, now try and tell me that it is not a cult... and also tell me that it is Christianity...

The Same Jesus?

Post 17

<>

Oof. You sound a bit fanatical to me. I'd urge you to have an open mind to other religions, as you're restricting yourself greatly in closing your views to anything other than what's engrained into your head.

Joseph Smith is hardly an idol. He's the founder of the church.

And, eh, the *government* defines a cult as a church with establishments in less than three states. At least here in the US it's that way. You're probably also among the ill-educated who believe that the pentagram is a symbol of devil worship.

Go visit the Wiccan-Pagan boards. It symbolizes the five elements of nature.

Oof. And anyway, if you're so intent on idol-worship then why are you on H2G2 anyway? You should have given your computer up to charity a long time ago. Otherwise, you are worshipping an idol, because you are chosing that over God's word. "It is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than it is a rich man to get into heaven." A bit paraphrased, but you know the passage.

Oh, and, yes. Jesus and Lucifer *are* brothers. As are we all. Jesus is our brother, as is Lucifer. But Lucifer is the fallen one. He never received a body. It's the plan of salvation. God said He was going to send all the people down to Earth to test their faith, as they wouldn't be able to feel His presense. Jesus stepped forth and offered to die for the sins of man, giving them all free will. "Let the glory be thine," Jesus said to the Father. Satan said that there should be no free will, so everyone would always do the right thing. And he said "Let the glory be mine." There was a war in heaven, or, more technically, the pre-existance. One-third sided with Satan, and they were cast out. They wander, and tempt us, and all that.

<>

I sense arrogance in that statement. The entire "I am right and you are wrong" attitude... wouldn't that be considered Pride? One of the Seven Deadly sins? Hm...

<>

No one ever said there were no "bad" Mormons. There are "bad" white people as well as "bad" black people. Isn't that what they teach in Kindergarten? Every race, culture, and, yes, religion, has their "good" and "bad" people, if you want to use those terms. You can't possibly tell me that in your entire church there isn't one person who has strayed.

And cults famously use brain-washing techniques. You seem to be thinking with a mind of a greater whole. Did you ever wonder if perhaps you were the victim of a cult? Perhaps someone is controlling you, forcing you to believe such things. Think for yourself and use some logic. And be more open-minded. No one's ever going to listen to you if you use arrogance as your weapon.

~Sirona
(Oh, By the way, I might tell you that Sirona is, in fact, a Pagan name I chose for myself, after the Gaulish Goddess whose name means "star".)

The Same Jesus?

Post 18

<>

Oof. You sound a bit fanatical to me. I'd urge you to have an open mind to other religions, as you're restricting yourself greatly in closing your views to anything other than what's engrained into your head.

And, eh, the *government* defines a cult as a church with establishments in less than three states. At least here in the US it's that way. You're probably also among the ill-educated who believe that the pentagram is a symbol of devil worship.

Oof. And anyway, if you're so intent on idol-worship then why are you on H2G2 anyway? You should have given your computer up to charity a long time ago. Otherwise, you are worshipping an idol, because you are chosing that over God's word. "It is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than it is a rich man to get into heaven." A bit paraphrased, but you know the passage.

Oh, and, yes. Jesus and Lucifer *are* brothers. As are we all. Jesus is our brother, as is Lucifer. But Lucifer is the fallen one. He never received a body. It's the plan of salvation. God said He was going to send all the people down to Earth to test their faith, as they wouldn't be able to feel His presense. Jesus stepped forth and offered to die for the sins of man, giving them all free will. "Let the glory be thine," Jesus said to the Father. Satan said that there should be no free will, so everyone would always do the right thing. And he said "Let the glory be mine." There was a war in heaven, or, more technically, the pre-existance. One-third sided with Satan, and they were cast out. They wander, and tempt us, and all that.

<>

I sense arrogance in that statement. The entire "I am right and you are wrong" attitude... wouldn't that be considered Pride? One of the Seven Deadly sins? Hm...

<>

No one ever said there were no "bad" Mormons. There are "bad" white people as well as "bad" black people. Isn't that what they teach in Kindergarten? Every race, culture, and, yes, religion, has their "good" and "bad" people, if you want to use those terms. You can't possibly tell me that in your entire church there isn't one person who has strayed.

And cults famously use brain-washing techniques. You seem to be thinking with a mind of a greater whole. Did you ever wonder if perhaps you were the victim of a cult? Perhaps someone is controlling you, forcing you to believe such things. Think for yourself and use some logic. And be more open-minded. No one's ever going to listen to you if you use arrogance as your weapon.

~Sirona
(Oh, By the way, I might tell you that Sirona is, in fact, a Pagan name I chose for myself, after the Gaulish Goddess whose name means "star".)

The Same Jesus?

Post 19

<>

<>

<>

~Sirona

The Same Jesus?

Post 20

Cat

I would like to know what temple you saw this "graven image" in. I do know that at a temple open house there will often be a statue of Jesus as part of a display explaining some of the basic beliefs of the church, however, once the temple is dedicated, the statue is no longer there. All that I can tell you is that we do not worship statues and never have. We do not worship Joesph Smith or Brigham Young and never have. We admire them as great men who did great things, Just as we admire Thomas Jefferson or George Washington for the same reasons.

As for the pentagram - I have never seen one in a temple nor has anyone else that I have asked. We don't use them in our worship.

Also the person that you know who married someone outside of the church who's family disowned him and made death threats. If it is true - the family is wrong and is going against the teachings of the church that state that we are all free to choose our own path (even if others don't agree with it) and that we are all children of our Heavenly Father and should treat eachother accordingly. Also, family is very important and we should love the members of our family even if we don't agree with them and should make every effort to show love to them. There is NO Mormon Hit Squad out there forcing people to stay faithful. If there was 1/2 my family would be dead by now for leaving the church and its teachings.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more