A Conversation for The 1970s

My 70s

Post 1

Maradam

The 70s.
Born in the mid 50s, I was a teenager during the 70s. I am male. I learnt a lot from the 70s. Only with hindsight unfortunately. The seventies actually covered several periods from hippy, heavy rock, pop and Saturday Night Fever. I moved from one fashion to the next in the hope of finding a suitable female.

Fashions
My hair reached down to the middle of my back. Beard. I wore a Kaftan, sheepskin, jacket and flared trousers. The flares were very, very large and the crotch was so tight that I still wince today - and not from memory either! I later graduated to suits, wet-look flourescent orange shirts and super-thick soled boots. The trousers remained tight though and the flares were milder.

Music
Played in a rock group (see below) and listened to T.Rex, The Beatles and Slade. When I felt intellectual I appreciated Led Zeppelin and progressive music - load! My hearing still suffers from the after effects.

Home Lifestyle
Slouching, sleeping and eating. Sometimes band practice and the odd gig. Laughed a lot. Stayed out a lot. Never did find the oft advertised free love (read sex) despite looking damned hard for it.

Foods
Anything fried, with chips. Beer didn't appeal, but vodka did. A mate of mine invented 'The Bunny' - a cocktail designed to nobble young ladies. It worked once or twice too!

Holidays
None - couldn't afford them.

Work
Starting work was the greatest tragedy of the period. Had to wear 'Square' clothes and get my hair cut. Lost a lot of friends but gained a long-term girl friend and we moved in together.

Entertainment
Pop, moved on to Rock music - then back to Pop with Saturday Night fever. I even did the dances! (There are benefits to getting amnesia).

Hobbies
Played in a rock band where much volume was considered cool. Acquired a 'Park 200W' stack and a Les Paul copy (guitar) and practiced a lot. My hearing still suffers from the after effects.

Did some wargaming (that was fun!) before it evolved into computer games. Dabbled at being a pupil in the local secondary comprehensive - but flunked out and never made college. University was only for 'snobs' so I never even tried. Stupid or what?

Cars
Started with a Standard 8 (What's that? I hear you cry.). Moved on to a Moggie (Morris 1000) - one of the best cars I've ever had. Graduated to Vauxhall Viva Estate car (mainly rust) but my nerves have never recovered from that experience! Also had a Commer C60 commercial van for gigs which I really liked. I wished I had custom car - where are they these days?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more