A Conversation for Texas, USA

New Yourk!?

Post 1

Miao Hongzhi

Dear Hexar:

Thanks and congratulations on an excellent entry on the state of my birth. I was bored Texan in "Cow Town", a.k.a. Fort Worth(less).

I know you're going to be deluged with suggestions and queries- everything Texan is, by definition, dubious, debatable, and given to producing polarided opinions. Pass the hot sauce, please.

Before I start with my suggestions, I must point out the howling error- Alaska, California, then Texas for the 1-2-3 biggest states. New York? Puzzlin'...prepare for cries of "Yank"!

Excellent call on the Subgenius- a link might be called for. Also a list of famous/ notable Texans is a worthy endeavour, from Buddy Holly and Willie Nelson to the Hunt Brothers, Ross Perot, Ann Richards, Molly Ivins, Gibby Hayes...the list is potentially endless.

Props for adding SXSW; much more could be written on Texas/Texans' contributions to popular music, of course. From Blind Lemon Jeferson to Narcolero balladeers, Texas has seen it all.

Finally- if I recall corerectly- weren't Pet Rocks invented in Texas? That deserves a Guide entry, if anything does. Smae goes for Texans' love affair with the death penalty.

Texas- not *just* cults anymore,
Miao

New Yourk!?

Post 2

Ashley

Great ideas for entries - how about writing some for us smiley - smiley

New Yourk!?

Post 3

Miao Hongzhi

Ok, but I'm off for a tipple at the local beer machine down on the corner. I wonder if they have absinthe in a can? smiley - smiley

Back in a couple weeks,
Miao

New Yourk!?

Post 4

Ashley

Be good!

Absinthe in a can - now there's a good idea...

New Yourk!?

Post 5

Hexar

Okay... to reply to the New York part. New York and California have the two largest populations in the US, Texas is third. I wasn't referring to land mass.

I thought (too late) about the link to either a Subgenius entry or link to one of the Subbie websites, but when I came back to do it the entry had been taken off for editing and such.

SXSW - yeah a lot more could be written about it and a lot of the other Texas stuff, but for considerations of space...

Pet Rocks - Hmmm, if that's the case it's a new one on me. I wish I had known that because that would have surely gone into the entry!

And I surely should have put in that Texas far and away lead the nation in capital punishment, but for some reason that didn't make the final draft... I thought I had put it in the first paragraph but going back and checking my original copy I left it out.

New Yourk!?

Post 6

little toad

Thanks for a great guide, Hexar. smiley - smiley

little toad

New Yourk!?

Post 7

Lord [INSERT NAME HERE]

Hi LT! Will you write us an entry on why medicare is woefully inadequate?

New Yourk!?

Post 8

little toad

hi, mr inh!

i'm a little toad, not hillary clinton. ;->

but seriously, is it a topic that needs an entry?

little toad

New Yourk!?

Post 9

Lord [INSERT NAME HERE]

Nah, I was just joking (somewhat morbidly) about your lack of health insurance and many medical problems.

New Yourk!?

Post 10

krustysc

Actually, Texas is the second largest state in population, as you will notice by its electoral votes which are second only to California.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more