This is the Message Centre for Crazy Man

WOW ANOTHER ONE!!!

Post 1

Redz

ooh, exitement! someone else my own age!! I live in 'sunny cornwall', and also have a small addiction to all things Adams. Have you read 'The Salmon of Doubt' yet? i bought it yesterday and has caused me much amusement and inspiration while attempting to revise for AS level exams!!

please reply, if you have the time, or e-mail, [email protected]

Bye for now, Redz

WOW ANOTHER ONE!!!

Post 2

Crazy Man

Ah...those AS level exams...don' know too much 'bout those..when I was there, there were just GCSE and A levels (back in '99)

I have not read The Salmon Of Doubt yet...haven't seen it 'round here, yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it, and buy it when I get a chance smiley - winkeye

Oh, wll, have to write an English essay now smiley - erm and then maths..smiley - erm....oh well...

AHH, YOU DO ENGLISH TOO

Post 3

Redz

Yes, as levels, they are rather unpleasant. i did ok at gcse, but i feel like im failing v v badly at these!! oh well. 42. So, what are you studying then? is there an american equivalent? oh, i have many essays piling up, i do English, theatre studies, philosophy + ethics, and Art. lots of essays!!! despite doing 'arty' subjects, i do have a small obsession with 'ickle physics', quantum theories and the sub atomic parts. i think its really weird that atoms seem so stable and trustworthy, but inside they're a mass of confusion and coincidence!!

such is life!!

love Redz x

AHH, YOU DO ENGLISH TOO

Post 4

Crazy Man

There isn't really an american equivalent.....here's how it works over here, and you can take any course level at any grade level smiley - winkeye:

You have regular classes which are equivalent to GCSE level (the exeption is Pre-Calculus, which is the equivalent to first year A level maths), but no real exam, apart from end of term, which you have in all subjects, and these are averaged in with the rest of your grades.

Pre AP classes, which are A level equivalent, but again, no real exam, just the regular end of term, average, and an extra three points added for class rank.Number one person gets a free scholarship to any university, and anyone in the top 10 are guaranteed a place in any interstate (within the state) university.

These are also "accelerated" classes, and for the most part, you don't need to take the regular course first (the exception is foreign language, in which third and fourth year classes are Pre AP)

AP classes, which are college-level classes, and you DO have to take an exam to get college credit (you still get high school credit if you pass the actual course). Extra six points added for class rank.
...I am 281 out of 532...don't think I'll make it that far...smiley - tongueout

Your high-school transcript shows all your grades and levels (regular, Pre AP and AP) taken...obviously, colleges prefer more Pre AP and AP classes....

This year, I'm taking:
Latin 2
Pre-Calculus
Pre AP World History
Geosciences
Business Law (VERY boring smiley - zzz)
Pre AP English 3 (American Lit.)
Chemistry 1
AP Computer Science 1-A (no exam at the end of this one, you take that at the end of second year)

That's my actual schedule, and we take four classes a day (we alternate). My grades are bad at the moment (C's and B's...no A's)* but, you know, it's getting to the end of the year smiley - tongueout.

*C = 70-80
B = 80-90
A = 90-100

AHH, YOU DO ENGLISH TOO

Post 5

Redz

wow, well good luck. it all seems v complicated to me!!!

AHH, YOU DO ENGLISH TOO

Post 6

Crazy Man

thanks

hmm

Post 7

Redz

what kind of other thing do you do then, other than all those subjects? (quite frankly, i coulnt cope with doing so many, four seems too many at times!!) i guess you have an interest in the great works of douglas adams, or you wouldnt really be here!! i'm quite interested to see how different american culture is to mine in britain. i haven't yet had the opportunity to travel, and i've always been fascinated by the differences (and samenesses) of people from different places.

the 'other things' which i do consist mainly of
* reading, anything humourous (douglas adams, tom holt- v similar style to adams, though no one can be quite so unique!!)or sometimes serious, despite doing arty things i love quantum physics (ooh, deja vu, ive said this before havent i?!?!) and sometimes like reading about those little things which are everywhere and everything. I also like philosophy, but i have so far not found anything with a better answer than 42, so i guess i'll stick to that for now!!

*music. listen to that a lot. anything really, especially the beatles, 60s/70s stuff, and classical is quite amazing, i've recently found! but then, whatever is on the radio will suffice, something to squal along to in the shower when the water inexplicably changes from 'nice and warm' to 'on the verge of becoming ice' in the space of three seconds!

* and, being the odd person that i am, i spend an enormous amout of time thinking, or talking to myself. probably not too healthy, but no one else will listen!!

well, good luck again, im going back to the work now, and the book (collection of humerous/inspiring/random anecdotes) i am attempting to write.

bye for now,
Redz

hmm

Post 8

Redz

what kind of other thing do you do then, other than all those subjects? (quite frankly, i coulnt cope with doing so many, four seems too many at times!!) i guess you have an interest in the great works of douglas adams, or you wouldnt really be here!! i'm quite interested to see how different american culture is to mine in britain. i haven't yet had the opportunity to travel, and i've always been fascinated by the differences (and samenesses) of people from different places.

the 'other things' which i do consist mainly of
* reading, anything humourous (douglas adams, tom holt- v similar style to adams, though no one can be quite so unique!!)or sometimes serious, despite doing arty things i love quantum physics (ooh, deja vu, ive said this before havent i?!?!) and sometimes like reading about those little things which are everywhere and everything. I also like philosophy, but i have so far not found anything with a better answer than 42, so i guess i'll stick to that for now!!

*music. listen to that a lot. anything really, especially the beatles, 60s/70s stuff, and classical is quite amazing, i've recently found! but then, whatever is on the radio will suffice, something to squal along to in the shower when the water inexplicably changes from 'nice and warm' to 'on the verge of becoming ice' in the space of three seconds!

* and, being the odd person that i am, i spend an enormous amout of time thinking, or talking to myself. probably not too healthy, but no one else will listen!!

well, good luck again, im going back to the work now, and the book (collection of humerous/inspiring/random anecdotes) i am attempting to write.

bye for now,
Redz

hmm

Post 9

Crazy Man

it's ok...I spend a lot of time thinking to myself too (obsessive, I know!) smiley - winkeye

great!!

Post 10

Redz

Im glad i'm not the only one!! That's really made my day as i was having one of those awful complete-lack-of-faith-that-i-am-any-good-at-anything days, and knowing that my talking to myself isn't as odd as i had previously thought, i am now quite happy again!!

Thanks!!

Redz

great!!

Post 11

Crazy Man

I have those days too smiley - erm ...but I do get over it, because there's more to life than just wallowing in misery...you've got to think what you can do about whatever is making you sad, and try to get a positive outlook on things. smiley - smiley

I know this can be VERY hard...and there are sometimes when you just get so (emotionally) confused about things, you honestly don't know what to do or where to turn. If you EVER find yourself in this situation, talk to your friends about it. They will see the positive outlook on it smiley - smiley, even though if it means sacrifice. Those who are your absolute closest frinds know what's good for you, and will try and guide you along the right path, but remember that they can only show you to the door, you're the one who has to walk through it (that's from The Matrix).

Anyway, that's just some general advice for a bad day...and there's plenty more where that came from smiley - smiley...just give us a shout a''ight?
Glad you're feeling better now

thanks

Post 12

Redz

wow, thank you for such kind words! you've restored my faith in human nature!! Im feeling better now. have you seen the film 'moulin rouge'? i ve just seen it, and had to buy the soundtrack!! Its v uplifting, and cheered me up even more!!

Thhanks again, (the matrix is a great film too),
redz

thanks

Post 13

Crazy Man

Have not had the chance to see it yet...hope to soon.....seen Spiderman yet? That's a VERY good one.....have not seen Attack of the Clones yet either...but will do very soon, I'm sure smiley - winkeye

No Subject

Post 14

Redz

I recommend Moulin Rouge a lot, and it has THE best soundtrack. NO, ive not seen attack of the clones, or spiderman yet, though i must admit thati've always been a bit scared of spiderman!!! Oh well. i have my exams starting on Monday!! Oh dear.... i wish they were all on something interesting, like Douglas Adams noevls!! never mind,
Redz
xx

No Subject

Post 15

Crazy Man

How're the exams?

No Subject

Post 16

Redz

um, ok -ish

art went well, english didnt, the first r.e. paper was great, have the rest on june 11th. thanks for asking, it made me smile!! Hope uu r ok, and everything is going well.

lots of love,
redz
xxx

No Subject

Post 17

Crazy Man

The love of my life is moving to Little Rock, Arkansas at the end of the month smiley - ermsmiley - wah...but apart from that, pretty smiley - cool...just taken the SAT (for the second time, I'm stupid and can't get out of triple digit scores..."perfect" being 1600 smiley - winkeye) and my dual credit courses at a local college (though I'm doing it over TV) start next week...oh well, at least my finals are over smiley - biggrin

No Subject

Post 18

Crazy Man

Hello? smiley - erm

hi

Post 19

Redz

sorry, ive been away for a bit from this conversation, but i hope ur ok. AS levels are over, and im enjoying the parties!! Have a gr8 summer, Redz xx

hi

Post 20

Crazy Man

smiley - monstersmiley - hug Redz

I saw Men In Black 2 the other day...very smiley - cool...

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Crazy Man

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more