A Conversation for Clare-Ents, Cambridge, UK

Cambridge shandy

Post 1

Mr Goldson

Is Cambridge really that dull?
As an ex-student of a real university I'd like to know more about what the Cambridge students are like. I know that Cambridge studes have a rep for being partial to the odd can of Top Deck and wearing funny hats, but surely that's just bad press. You can't all look like Mary Poppins.

Tell us about what really go's on in these sweat dens. Cambridge Uni uncovered. I live near Cambridge and it's a very pleasant place. Pleasant. That sounds like a good word to describe it's students too. Pleasant. It's not how I would like to have been remembered as a student.
Please tell us that there is more the Cambridge students than just 'pleasant', as I fear that some of the most brilliant young people in our country our wasting their 3 years at university simply gaining an education.

incredulous
Tumbridge Wells

Cambridge shandy

Post 2

As someone who's plannin' on going to either Oxford or Cambridge in a year or so... I've heard that the night-life at Cambridge just doesn't compare to that at Oxford. So you might well be right.

Still. There's more to university than enjoying yourself and having fun, right? Er...

Cambridge shandy

Post 3

Tinkerbell *tumbleweed*

I'm off to Oxford in um . . .112 days (I think) and it has to be said that I've heard the nightlife isn't too great there either. The only person I've ever heard say it's good is Eddie Irvine but as the main source of fun for students is The Purple Turtle, which is apparantly the best place, then I feel the name may display the entertainment value but I'm sure it'll be greatsmiley - smiley It has to be said that I would have much rather have gone to Cambridge as it's a much 'nicer' (is that too similar to pleasant?)place and I love it there however I'm not and I'll stop moaning long enough to ask Phil (?) or whoever it was that wrote this what course they're doing cause my mates at Clare and you probably know him as he's great - not that I'm biased in any way shape of form you understandsmiley - smiley

Cambridge shandy

Post 4

Fair enough...

What course are you goin' to be doing, then, in 112 days?

I plan on taking Computer Science...

Cambridge shandy

Post 5

Tinkerbell *tumbleweed*

English. Already have a fun 'suggested' reading listsmiley - smiley

Cambridge shandy

Post 6

Sounds fun...

Which A-levels did you choose to undertake?

Meself, I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and computing... never a dull moment smiley - smiley

Cambridge shandy

Post 7

Mr Goldson

Why don't you two get together??? Swap addresses, phone numbers, spit, etc.

Cambridge shandy

Post 8

Tinkerbell *tumbleweed*

Cyber spit? eeeargh can you imagine the viruses you'd get! boom boomsmiley - smiley Actually I feel that was more of a phud clunk.

Anyways, I'm doing Media Studies, Psychology and English Language and Literature even though I was supposed to be doing maths, physics and design but there was no way I could have stomached another two years of maths. . . or physics so I annoyed everyone and did fun subjects insteadsmiley - smiley

Cambridge shandy

Post 9

Grin, good for you...

Personally, the ones I chose *were* the fun subjects, but, well, each to their own, eh? smiley - smiley

*twiddles thumbs*

I think I've run out of conversation smiley - smiley

Unfortunately, I've never really seen that as a reason to shut up smiley - smiley

Cambridge shandy

Post 10

Tinkerbell *tumbleweed*

Hmmm, I guess some physics might be fun . . . thinks hard . . . umm, my mate blew the lab up by sticking a paperclip in the socket and all the fuses in the whole science block shorted, that was fun . . . umm, nope that's about it I'm afraidsmiley - smiley

btw, do you mean that there is A reason to shut up? That's a novel ideasmiley - smiley

Cambridge shandy

Post 11

That does sound fun smiley - smiley

I think there are probably lots of reasons to shut up. It'd be a big coincidence if everyone who tells me to shut up did it for the same reason, y'know?

That's my thinking, anyway smiley - smiley

Cambridge shandy

Post 12

Tinkerbell *tumbleweed*

hmmm, maybe it is a coincidence cause I'd bet I'd get told the same reasonssmiley - smiley
Perhaps there's a set list of them somewhere, thou shalt shut up whence thou ist rambling, thou shalt hold thy tongue when thou ist talking rubbish, thou shalt be quiet when Frasier is on... O.K maybe the last ones just mesmiley - smiley

Cambridge shandy

Post 13

smiley - smiley

Do you ICQ?

Cambridge shandy

Post 14

Tinkerbell *tumbleweed*

I tried and got very confusedsmiley - smiley
Whilst I try to be technically minded and understand computers they seem to hate me and have a vendeter . . . vendetor . . . vendetar . . . grudge against me and so whenever I attempt to cope with installing something my computer tends to squeal in pain and die on me. It even told me to go away once but then I realised that my brother had changed the error message without telling mesmiley - smiley
We could chat on my home page forum thingy as it's currently lonely because I've only been here a week and no-ones said anything, I considered saying hi to myself so I didn't look so unpopular but then I realised my name would be on it so I'd just look foolishsmiley - smiley

Cambridge shandy

Post 15

Aww, that's tragic!

I shall go there directly and write something...

Cambridge shandy

Post 16

Tinkerbell *tumbleweed*

Why thank you now I can reply and make it look like I've had two visitors oooh! Soon it'll be on the list of busiest forumssmiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Clare-Ents, Cambridge, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more