A Conversation for British Pigeons

Do Collared Doves Know Suzy?

Post 1

Vandervecken

I think that the song of the collared dove (I'm assuming I've got the right species here) goes:

cooh - COOOOOH COOOOOH coooh coooooh

This is repeated a few times, and then they tend to leave off, not as one might expect, after the fifth note, but after the *first*. I always wondered why this was. Is it that there is a bit of air still left 'charged' up in their sound-making organs (like bagpipes), and it needs to be expelled? Or is it that they just have an irritatingly assymmetric musical sense? Whatever the case, the point I was getting to (at last!) is that the above rhythm sounds exactly like the song "If you knew Suzy, like I knew Suzy.." Every time I hear a collared dove that damn song comes into my head. And now it will come into yours, too! smiley - smiley

Post 2

Racey

You're right damn it. Now how to I get *That* tune out of my head?
smiley - bigeyes

Post 3

borson

I've always been reminded of 'I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm' - and fortunately I prefer this to 'Suzy'!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more