This is the Message Centre for Babel17

Hey! Its Shaggy

Post 1

Shaggy

Thank you for your cordial welcome to H2G2!!!
I am thoroughly enjoying this site; interacting with people
with many different perspectives on many different things
(like....um....stuff?)
But, I have a question.
I have a very short attention span, so I wasn't really reading the intro to this site;
What's the point of the site? Is there a tangible or semi-tangible goal in this site existing?

That's all. I know, its a small question. But I haven't been getting any sleep lately thinking about it. smiley - winkeye

Shaggy
smiley - cool

Hey! Its Shaggy

Post 2

Babel17

Hey yourself, Shaggy smiley - smiley
Glad you made it over ok.
Questions we can do, the answers, however sometimes take a bit longer smiley - winkeye

Right, this here site is meant to be the Earth edition of The Guide, as in Don't Panic etc., so researchers write or contribute to articles based on everything thay can think of to do with earth. ie, got a pub you want to recommend, write an article. Simple really.
However, the community side of it is huge. h2g2 island (as we refer to it now) has bars, pubs, clubs, coffee shops, beaches, recreations, hills, woods, villages and so forth. The community aspect is the fun side. Lots of people just come here for that, others drop in and out, write a few articles, get involved and so on. The general idea is to contribute and one of the easiest ways to do it is to check the front page to see what the community topic of the week is and see if you have anything to add to it, you then get credited when the final article is written if your contribution is used.
Simple really. There is also the University where they do lots of 'research' on specific topics, so say you are a physics major or something, then you could add to an article at the university in the physics dept.

Hope this helps smiley - smiley
Need any links? Just give me a shout.
Feel free to look at any of the forums I am involved in, to give you an idea. I am also currently involved in a project that takes the guide one step further. See my latest journal entry and related article for more info.
catch you later smiley - smiley
B-17

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Babel17

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more