A Conversation for A Brief History Of The English Prison System.

Peer Review: A9806655 - A Brief History Of The English Prison System.

Post 1

biolordnightowl

Entry: A Brief History Of The English Prison System. - A9806655
Author: biolordnightowl - U3058420

A little part of English history, which most people know very little about.

A9806655 - A Brief History Of The English Prison System.

Post 2

Mina

Hi there! Great to see you in PR, shame you've had no comments for a couple of days.

This will need some work if you want it to get into the Edited Guide as there are some factual mistakes in it - for instance Newgate Prison was on the exact site that the Old Bailey is on now. A987861 and A645112 are two examples of entries on prisons.

Your entry is interesting and does what it says on the tin, although I think you've concentrated on London prisons, rather than prisons all over England.

Post 3

McKay The Disorganised

Dungeons were certainly used as prisons for ordinary soldiers in the middle ages. There is a carving on the wall of the dungeon at Warwick Castle where there are blokes there for 4 years.

I think you're trying to make a point about the future of the prison service, and this is not something that can be easily done in Peer Review.

Good luck with it anyway. smiley - ok

smiley - cider

Post 4

biolordnightowl

Thanks for the comments. Have only worked in London Prisons actually and this is my first attempt at writing! Thanks anyway.

Post 5

Mina

You can easily fix that by changing the title - a brief history of London prisons.

Do you think you'll make any changes to this?

Post 6

biolordnightowl

yes, you are correct. With a little refinement I think this may be intersting yo others.

Cheers!

Post 7

biolordnightowl

Sorry, to others.smiley - smiley

Post 8

Mina

Great, let us know when you've done some stuff to this and we can come back and have another look. smiley - ok

Post 9

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hello biolordnightowl (note to other Peer Reviews, this is a new member of h2g2, un-ACEd - I have tried to ACE biolordnightowl but everytime I try to post on the PS I get "Greetings unknown hiker" I click "login" and "click here to start a new conversation" - click it, and get "greetings unknown hiker")smiley - erm

So my apologies, biolordnightowl, I can't ACE you, however if you'd like to know anything about h2g2 please create a new conversation on my Personal Space (just click on my name) and we can have a chat there.

smiley - smiley

Annie/Galaxy Babe U128652

Post 10

biolordnightowl

Ok! Can change the title but some further advice would be appreciated.

Post 11

Mina

You can change the incorrect info about Newgate prison. smiley - ok

Post 12

Mina

Do you think you'll do any work on this? You seem unsure as to what to do with it, and I'd like to help, but am now wondering if you've forgotten about it. smiley - sadface

Post 13

U168592

You still about nightowl?

Post 14

Milos

I hope he's still about - it would be nice to see this finished smiley - smiley

I was pleasantly surprised to see that it actually was *brief* smiley - ok, yet obviously contains a fair bit of knowledge and thought.

When you return, consider this - have you read through it since posting it here, or have you just been waiting for constructive suggestions? If you haven't read it in awhile, take a few minutes to read through it again and see if you don't think the language is a bit clunky in places. After that, if you'd like some more specific suggestions, just ask!

Good luck with this smiley - cheers

Post 15

coelacanth

If you take a look at this person's conversations you'll see that 5 weeks ago they posted elsewhere to say that in just over 2 weeks from then they were going to be taking a 2 week holiday to celebrate a 25th wedding anniversary.

So it's quite possible they have only just got back and finishing this probably isn't the first thing they'll do.
smiley - bluefish

Post 16

Not him

Hello? Anybody here?

Post 17

Milos

Author last posted 27 March.
Flea Market?

Post 18

Not him

Yes, I think sosmiley - ok

(seconded)

Post 19

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Added to both Scout databasessmiley - biro

Post 20

Mina

I'm interested in this one, so I'll do something with it. smiley - ta

Key: Complain about this post