A Conversation for Chopsticks

Chop it up!

Post 21

Mike A (snowblind)

Vandels were some of the barbarien guys who trashed Rome and destroyed the empire. Proving that no matter how much fancy show-off you can do, brute force will always prevail smiley - smiley

Chop it up!

Post 22

Princess Bride

Ahhh. I think I've heard of them after all. But I thought Rome just got corrupt and too big to handle..?

Chop it up!

Post 23

Mike A (snowblind)

Yeah, that sounds right. I guess those facists got what they deserved smiley - winkeye

Chop it up!

Post 24

Princess Bride

smiley - smiley

I just saw the new Jackie Chan movie called Shanghai Noon and the main character gave someone else his chopsticks to dig himself out of a hole-- someone had buried him up to his neck. A new use-- digging?

Chop it up!

Post 25

Mike A (snowblind)

How long did it take to dig himself out with chopstyx?!

Chop it up!

Post 26

Princess Bride

Well the movie doesn't say. But a few days(?) later Jackie runs into the man he gave his chopsticks to and he's alive and well. A bit unbelievable, true, but it is funny.

Chop it up!

Post 27

Mike A (snowblind)

A few days doesn't sound unreasonable smiley - winkeye

Chop it up!

Post 28

Princess Bride

smiley - smiley

Chop it up!

Post 29

Researcher 155628

I've traveled through China for two weeks in the summer of 1999. Of course, we all tried to use chopsticks -- which actually went pretty well after a few days -- but indeed a lot of the Chinese people we saw in the restaurants were using a knife and fork. Moreover, they were quite surprised to see us Europeans using chopsticks.

I was later told by our guide (who grew up in Shanghai) that currently, anything Western (and American in particular) is very popular at the moment. That's why it's currently quite chique to use a knife and fork.

This also explains the state-of-the-art bowling alley and pool hall combo we encountered in Xi'an.

Key: Complain about this post