A Conversation for Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK

Portsmouth researchers

Post 1

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

There seem to be quite a few field researchers in the Portsmouth area.

Why not arrange a meeting somewhere (such as a nice easy-to-find pub somewhere)

Portsmouth researchers

Post 2

Cakewalker

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Portsmouth researchers

Post 3

Cee Mac

agreed..... nice idea !!

Portsmouth researchers

Post 4

Bluebottle

I think so too - Southampton's not too far away at all, and nor is the Island.

Portsmouth researchers

Post 5

Peregrin

Count me in!
Isn't there a page about H2G2 cells somewhere? (local area groups that meet up)

Portsmouth researchers

Post 6

Cakewalker

A bionic guide? smiley - smiley

Sorry.

I don't know. I'll have a look.

Portsmouth researchers

Post 7

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

Any suggestions for meeting places.

I vote pub.

However, many of the pubs I visit regularly don't like under-18's (Wetherspoons for instance), and a number of researchers in the area are under-18.

I would need to be somewhere reasonably central, and easy for those who are slightly out of area to find (which sort of suggests town centre or near a railway station).

Froddington Arms, Fratton?
Red lion, Cosham?

Portsmouth researchers

Post 8

Cakewalker

Not sure. Is the meetup definitely going to include Bluebottle and the others from Southampton? It'd probably be simpler just to meet them in London at the h2g2 birthday party. If it's just Portsmouth researchers, well, I'm 22 and live just off Albert Road, if that's any help, which puts me within easy reach of most of the popular places in Pompey.

Portsmouth researchers

Post 9

Peregrin

Well, I'm going to the London thing. Who else is? We could discuss a local meet up then. (unless we take a sudden violent dislike to each other smiley - winkeye)

Portsmouth researchers

Post 10

Cakewalker

I doubt I'll be able to get, which is a real bummer as I was looking forward to it (it's a bit too close to my final exhibition)

Portsmouth researchers

Post 11

Cakewalker

smiley - sadface

Portsmouth researchers

Post 12

Cakewalker

Sorry, I should have thought of that before posting.

Portsmouth researchers

Post 13

Well, there's no reason why we can't do both.

Actually, I can't make London, mainly because
A) It's in London, and I don't have transport
B) It would involve most of the day, which I don't have time for, as I work weekends and bank holidays (Ladbrokes is open tomorrow, and the boss says I've got to be there smiley - winkeye )

Besides, I grew up in London. Hate the place.

So, if anyone still wants a local meeting, with anyone else from the surrounding area turning up if they can make it, name a time, and a place, and I'll tell you that I can't make it (unless it's an weekend evening, or a thursday evening)

Portsmouth researchers

Post 14

Bluebottle

I know Portsmouth Harbour station very well... How about researchers muck about on the Victory all day? smiley - winkeye
I know the Guildhall - but that's a little big and always seems crammed with students. I've never actually eaten in Pompey. I've only been through on the train to the ferry, or visited the ships when a Nipper.
And I am going to London (I hope).

Portsmouth researchers

Post 15

Cakewalker

Meeting on The Hard wouldn't be a bad idea - it's more logical to get to for folk unfamiliar to the place than the Guildhall is to the city centre station.

Portsmouth researchers

Post 16

Peregrin

How about going somewhere where we can wander round then write a combined article on it? eg. go to a museum of traditional moose knitting, and each of us writes about a different aspect of the museum.

Portsmouth researchers

Post 17

Cee Mac

Well why not pick a date when all who are wanting to meet can, thus saving trouble for everyone changing dates !!!
See who is travelling from where and make plans from then ! If we meet at a train station makes recognistion a little easier then a busy pub, (and those who don't like the looks of the others can run away screaming!!).
And after all it's not a million miles from either the Harbour station or City centre to walk to decent pubs & food !!! Hell depending on the day/time/weather we might even take up habitation in a pub garden !!! or picnic at the seaside !!
Just one little pointer, it now costs a fortune to visit the "historical ships" no more freebies from this city !!

Portsmouth researchers

Post 18

Cee Mac

Hmmmmmm the knitting sounds just fabbo !!! :o)
(can't stop laughing.......)

Portsmouth researchers

Post 19

Bluebottle

I agree - and hopefully soon as it is, afterall, summer time.
Most trains stop at Portsmouth & Southsea, don't they? It may be more logical than Portsmouth Harbour.
Where abouts is that D-Day museum?

Portsmouth researchers

Post 20

Cakewalker

I think it's about 5 mins walk from the funfair.

Key: Complain about this post