A Conversation for Mozilla

AOL's arrogance

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Since AOL took over Netscape, the truth has always taken a back seat to the "corporate line"...

Today, as I logged out of Netscape Webmail, I was too slow reaching for the bookmarks to prevent the pop-ups from loading. ( smiley - blush) A dialog box popped up with the following message:

"You are using an out of date browser. Tests show you are using an obsolete version of the Netscape browser. Click OK for your free upgrade to Netscape 7.0! [OK]"

I'm using Mozilla 1.1 - three point-releases *newer* than Netscape 7!

This is presumably AOL's means of slowly exchanging NS branded browsers for the Mozilla originals, and sneaking the intrusive IM client and spyware download manager in through the "back door". I wonder how many people have fallen for it...? smiley - bluesmiley - geek

AOL's arrogance

Post 2

Cefpret

That surely is rather annoying.

On the other hand I'm grateful that AOL has chosen Gecko for their application. That is the last stronghold against Microsoft.

AOL's arrogance

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

They're using it, because they're paying for its development. AFAIK Mozilla was "in progress" before AOL bought over Netscape, and their continued participation in the programme was part of the deal. They pay the wages of the full-time programmers and documentation team working on the project. smiley - winkeye

AOL's arrogance

Post 4

Cefpret

Yes, I know. And I'm very happy about it.

AOL's arrogance

Post 5

Me too! smiley - biggrin

So long as I am never forced to install their IM client... smiley - grr

...or their download manager. smiley - steam

AOL's arrogance

Post 6

Decaf Silicon

This makes me wonder: should internet ads claiming "your computer is too slow" or "you are running an outdated product" be branded as illegal defamation and/or false advertising?

AOL's arrogance

Post 7

Definitely! smiley - ok

As an amusing aside, I e-mailed Microsoft's counterfeiting hotline a couple of days ago to draw their attention to the current AOL commercial running in the UK, which features a long, loving close-up of a counterfeit Microsoft mouse... smiley - laugh

AOL's arrogance

Post 8

Decaf Silicon

Tsk, how cruel, using the bullies to beat each other up.

Carpe diem -- kill the fish!

AOL's arrogance

Post 9

According to Buffy, it means "Sieze the Fish"... smiley - hsifsmiley - laughsmiley - fish

AOL's arrogance

Post 10

Decaf Silicon

I stole "Kill the fish" from Ilya's comic book "The End of the Century Club." Clever book, worth a browse.

Key: Complain about this post