A Conversation for Rugby Union - An Outsider's Guide

Nice!

Post 1

Clevermoniker

I enjoyed reading this very much! I've just recently started learning about rugby and am trying to play this year, so, I'm learning a lot! And your article helped clear up a couple of things!

I do have one question, though. In the last paragraph of part 5 you wrote: "They can also be reversed, so if one team commits a minor offence (say obstructing a player) but the other team retaliates (by punching the offending player on the snout), the referee can and will give the original team the penalty. This encourages players to keep a modicum of restraint." Wouldn't the referee give the original team a penalty even if the other team didn't retaliate? Or am I mis-reading this?

Thanks!!
smiley - biggrin
Clevermoniker

Nice!

Post 2

Fraggle

Hiya - sorry for the delay
Basically, if you are on the opposite team to me and break the rules in some way (like obstructing the ball in a ruck for instance), MY team hou be awarded the penalty. BUT, if I take offence at your behaviour and punch you three times in the face, the ref can (and should) swap the penalty from my team to yours, even though you broke the rules first.
Make sense?
Glad you enjoyed the entry, and I hope you are getting more into the greatest sport on earth! let me know if (and when) you start playing.
Cheers,
Fraggle

Nice!

Post 3

Clevermoniker

Ahh!! That *does* make sense! Me playing is being pushed back for several more months. I am starting a new career & as such, am not having a lot of time for rugby playing!!! But, I'm still enjoying watching it when I can. There was a match in Las Vegas this past weekend (between the Northern Arizona Landsharks and the Sin City Irish) so, I got to get out of town for that! One of the guys hurt his leg pretty bad-torn ACL, MCL, & miniscus....ewww... Things like that always make me a bit leary of playing! But... we'll see how this fall goes! smiley - smileygmh

Nice!

Post 4

Fraggle

Sin City Irish! What a great name for a team! That injury sounded pretty bad - ligament damage is something I've never had to deal with, but I've seen it a few times and ewww...

Keep me posted on the restart to playing!

Frag

Nice!

Post 5

Mat

Nice article. Was funny to read about the difference between forwards and backs as I have played as both and can agree.

Nice!

Post 6

Fraggle

Thanks!
I guess I need to change it all now with the ELVs coming in. That'll be a fun job...
Glad you enjoyed it,
F

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more