A Conversation for A Guide to Scottish Beer

Scottish Beer in America

Post 1

Britwannabe {......... }

We can get McEwans, it doesn't say if its 60,70 or 80 but its darn good at 8.5%. We also can get Belhaven Wee Heavy which is excellent as well and is around 7%. I've had Skull Splitter, Old Jock, Froach Heather Ale and a few other Belhaven products.

Scottish Beer in America

Post 2

Britwannabe {......... }

Oh yeah, I left out McTarnahans, brewed in the state of Oregon, USA. Excellent stuff, you swear it was from Scotland...

Scottish Beer in America

Post 3

Whisky

I've had that McEwans at 8.3% as well,its available on the European mainland, brewed somewhere in Belgium, it doesn't exist in Scotland - Presumably its also brewed somewhere in the US?

Scottish Beer in America

Post 4

Britwannabe {......... }

I'm looking at a bottle right now. It says "Brewed by Scottish Courage LTD Edinburgh, Scotland. Imported by Scottish & Newcastle Importers CO. San Francisco, CA. I think I should bring a bottle to Scotland right now and taste-test it against all the McEwan's at the pub and figure out what its closest to. There is magic in that bottle. The same kind of magic you can get from Theakston's Old Peculier and Bell's Oberon(Kalamazoo, MI, USA).smiley - cheers

Scottish Beer in America

Post 5

Britwannabe {......... }

I'm looking at a bottle right now. It says "Brewed by Scottish Courage LTD Edinburgh, Scotland. Imported by Scottish & Newcastle Importers CO. San Francisco, CA." I think I should bring a bottle to Scotland right now and taste-test it against all the McEwan's at the pub and figure out what its closest to. There is magic in that bottle. The same kind of magic you can get from Theakston's Old Peculier and Bell's Oberon(Kalamazoo, MI, USA).smiley - cheers

Scottish Beer in America

Post 6

Skylion, Muse of Hockey and Comic Books and Keeper of the Corner of the Laughing Dog.

Just wanted to chime in here. I liked the section on IPA, when I have my druthers, that is my drink of choice. My favorite is the Pious Pale Ale from the Oldenburg Brewery in Ft. Mitchell, Ky. A bit of a warning, if shopping at a large liquor mart, get this beer more toward the top of the month, it comes in fresher then. Nothing is worse than a skunky pale. Oldenburg makes a good nut brown ale as well, but steer clear of the Crosley Red, it is about as upsetting as the home town Reds baseball club is during the playoff stretch. Sierra Brew makes a good one, and the Flying Dog Brewery does as well. They also put out a good "Scots" ale. Kinda middle of the road, and brewed for most american alcohol tolerances.
Speaking of which. My skull was indeed split. Two pints of Skullspliter was enough to make me call for a strecher. My groomsmen got it for me when they took my wife and I to the Ohio Renfest before our honeymoon, the next day. She had to drive to Gatlinburg, TN. for us the next morning. That is the last time I go to a Renfest, full kilt, commando style.

Scottish Beer in America

Post 7

Munchkin

Oops, didn't see this conversation. Getting drunk at a ren fair, tut tut, never see that happen to me I tell you. On Scots beer (apologies for the article, it was one of the first things I wrote and stinks) in America, I did see Caledonian 80/- on tap in a pub in Ottawa once, so I'd assume it can get to the US.
And that McEwan's sounds more like 90/- to me.

Scottish Beer in America

Post 8

Campbell

Called Gordons Scotch Ale in Belgium, Douglas Scotch Ale in France, available in scotland only imported back from belgium!

Scottish Beer in America

Post 9

Baron Grim

The Richmond Arms in Houston Texas and The Bayview Duck (in Bayview just southeast of Houston) are the only places in the greater area that carry my new addiction. Younger's Tartan Special. I don't know how it ranks with other Scottish beers except for McEwans Export, but I like it. smiley - cheers

Scottish Beer in America

Post 10

Baron Grim

Just to update, it's sad times for Scottish Beer in Texas. The state beverage commission passed an inane rule several years ago that effectively banned most of the tamer Scottish ales like the Tartan and McEwan's. Texas now has strict labeling laws based not on how a beer is brewed, but what its ABV% is. About all we see now are some Belhavens (including Wee Heavy, Scottish Ale, St. Andrews Ale and Twisted Thistle).

Key: Complain about this post