A Conversation for Pork Tamales - 'Tamales de Carne de Cerdo'

Where do you get banana leaves?

Post 1

Is mise Duncan

If you are in a non-banana republic smiley - winkeye

What I mean is - what could I substitute, other than corn (maize) husks as corn is sold here sans wrapping.

Post 2

crawlingChaos

Probably far too late for you to see this, but for the benefit of everyone else:

A large grocery store (or a small one in an ethnic part of town) might possibly have corn husks on the international foods aisle (proabably alongside the taco mix and salsa and whatnot)

Post 3

Wand'rin star

Resurrection! I need this to prove that I've been around since then. My space says I haven't posted since as I've cl;eared everything else smiley - starsmiley - star

Post 4

Is mise Duncan

I went to a thai restaurant in town that had stuff on banana leaves. No idea where they got them though. Perhaps Yucca leaves would do instead?

Post 5

Phil

smiley - erm Why didn't you ask where they got the Banana leaves from?

Post 6

Is mise Duncan

I didn't want to appear gauche

Post 7

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes

smiley - musicalnote
"Yes, we have no bananas,
We have no bananas today..."
smiley - musicalnote

smiley - peacedove
~jwf~

OK this is a test

Post 8

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Banana leaves?
smiley - bigeyes Oh,
they're right there
behind the bananafish.
smiley - fishsmiley - hsif
~jwf~

OK this is a test

Post 9

Phil

How about growing your own banana tree to provide you with as many banana leaves as you wish. You may need a tall hothouse to grow the tree in.

OK this is a test

Post 10

AgProv2

Livnig in Manchester as I do I'm spoilt, but Carribean food shops in Moss Side and Rusholme/Longsight can do you banana and plantain leaves, as do some of the African and Indian produce shops. Carribean food shops (and West Indian eateries, of which Manchester has many)are also no stranger to tamales and wil cheerfully sort out Jamaican and Barbadan variants no a theme for you.

As in Manchester, so Brick Lane, Birmingham, et c?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Pork Tamales - 'Tamales de Carne de Cerdo'

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more