A Conversation for Birmingham, The Midlands, UK

We are not Brummies

Post 1

TheRealMattoid

Nothing gets my goat more than people who insist calling everyone in the Midlands Brummies.Lets clear up a few things,I am from Dudley and as such hate being told by someone that im a Brummie.I am from the Black Country and if you want to be really exact am a 'Nethertonian'.
To make things easier for the hard of thinking people who live in a postcode that starts in B?? can be called Brummies and people who live in a DY,WS,WV postcode,etc can be said to be from the Black Country.I know that this is a generalisation but it makes things a little bit clearer for people who arent in the know.
I don't go around calling everyone south of the Watford Gap Cockneys so do us all a favour and treat us with some respect!!
I would clear up things a bit more but i have to go and get some faggotts,chips and payes!
Thanks everyone for listening,
Mark C.

The Name Birmingham

Post 2

Vestboy

As far as I can remember - and please feel free to dispute this! The name of the city comes from the family name Brem. Inge is a common syllable of many place names, but why the fact escapes me. Ham is a small village. So Bremingeham was an early version. Which is much closer to the local name of the city "Brummagem" from which Brummie comes.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more