A Conversation for Golders Green, London, UK

Who sang it?

Post 1

Wand'rin star

"Finchley Central, Golders Green
Ten stations on the Northern Line"
[Passadena Roof Orchestra??]
and then there's the bit in the old Peter Sellers sketch about a rose red sissy.... Sounds a very pleasant place if perhaps home to too many dentists smiley - sadface

Who sang it?

Post 2

Phil

It is a pleasent place, as long as you're not after a bacon buttie on a saturday morning smiley - winkeye
I've not seen too many dentists, but there are certainly too few pubs, which is why most of my drinking is done in central london, not within walking distance of my home.

Who sang it?

Post 3

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

But it ain't that Jewish any more thankfully. Most of the restaurants are not kosher and most the shops open on Saturday. Golders Green hasnow not only become a centre for pharmacies but a centre for cafes and mobile phone stores - they're everywhere! Still not one music and now no electronics store, but yes, there are now over six cafes and at least three mobile phone stores.

But I do prefer living there than in Central London - I find it more pleasant and it's pretty easy to get into town from here smiley - smiley.

Who sang it?

Post 4

Phil

That is true. Coffee shops, coffee shops and oh look there's another coffee shop.

It's certainly a nice place to live and easy to get into (or out of) the cenral bits of London.

Who sang it?

Post 5

Tony

With my equality hat on I'd just like to say:

What the *hell* do you mean 'It ain't that Jewish any more _thankfully_'?????

Who sang it?

Post 6

Cathy

Maybe Mr Cynic is a huge fan of equality and would like to live in a world where no particular group dominates, no religion or culture is particularly evident and everyone is free to live their lives how they see fit, without trying to fit in with a particular tradition or culture.

Or maybe he's just a racist.

Who sang it?

Post 7

Cathy

Maybe Mr Cynic is a huge fan of equality and would like to live in a world where no particular group dominates, no religion or culture is particularly evident and everyone is free to live their lives how they see fit, without trying to fit in with a particular tradition or culture.

Or maybe he's just a racist.

Who sang it?

Post 8

Wand'rin star

or Jewish?( You're allowed to complain about your own family)

Who sang it?

Post 9

Tony

oooh, yes. That would be acceptable smiley - winkeye

Who sang it?

Post 10

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

Guess what? You're all right smiley - winkeye.

Firstly, I am a huge fan of equality. I especially don't like it when a religion affects my life directly - e.g. being asked why I don't wear a piece of cloth over my head to protect me from the wrath of G.O.D..

Secondly, I am racist - well, maybe not racist. I'm more just fed up with interfering religions and the zealousy of those with faith.

Finally, I am Jewish. Well, I was born Jewish anyway. Now I've got the best of both worlds (or is it the worst? smiley - winkeye). I'm strongly atheist yet I can criticise 'my' religion smiley - winkeye.

Who sang it?

Post 11

Wand'rin star

Right, now that we've got that settled satisfactorily can someone answer my original question? I've had the fragment on my brain for two days and I don't have that many brain cells to spare.

Who sang it?

Post 12

Katsy a.k.a. Esti

Alright, here we go with my criticism:

HAS ANYONE WHO'S POSTED HERE EVER BEEN TO GOLDERS GREEN OR AT LEAST RECENTLY??? I go there very often because my brother lives there, and infact I'm going there this Wednesday, now, let me tell you some stuff:
It depends what part of Golders Green you go to, there is the Jewish part which is one isolated part, then there's the bit that it just like any other part of London. Secondly there is a Christmas lighting down the road in the part where the Jews don't go. And thirdly: have you even seen a licensed Kosher restaurant open on a Saturday??? If they did they wouldn't be a kosher restaurant for much longer!

And before you ask me yes I'm Jewish.

Who sang it?

Post 13

Phil

Yes I have been to Golders Green recently. I'm sat here in a house in Golders Green typing this at home where I live.

Who sang it?

Post 14

Katsy a.k.a. Esti

You live in Golders Green? Send an e-mail to [email protected] now!!!

Who sang it?

Post 15

Phil

Why?
Ok I'll send an email to you. smiley - winkeye

Who sang it?

Post 16

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

I live in Golders Green too. So Shim lives in GG? smiley - hsif

But they don't have Christmas lights - at least not down the high streets this year. But unbelievably, we're getting a Blockbusters!

Who sang it?

Post 17

Katsy a.k.a. Esti

Shim lives near the bottom towards Hendon

Finchley and Golders Green

Post 18

AgProv2

Is Golders Green part of the Finchley parliamentary constituency, or are you blamemess for voting for.... THAT person as your MP for so long?

Key: Complain about this post