A Conversation for Heavy Metal

The Best Metal Band

Post 1

Modest Mart

The best Metal bands in the world (in my opinion and in no particular order are)

Manowar
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Machine Head
Fear Factory
Nevermore
Skyclad
Sepultura
Testament
Tool
Coal Chamber (Yes I consider them Metal)
Face Down
Therion
Anathema

The Best Metal Band

Post 2

Ac-1D

oh they sound scary. have you ever heard of a heavy metal band called the rosey happinesses or butterfly wing?

no. me neither. . .

The Best Metal Band

Post 3

Modest Mart

Soulfly is quite nice?!!

NZ Metal bands

Post 4

Ac-1D

Muckhole has to be the worst.

NZ Metal bands

Post 5

SMURF

I always prefered Suicidal Tendancies but they got a bit crap after Lights, Camera, Revolution.

And what about good old AC/DC. Fun for a bit of a bop.

And of course there's Metallica (but only up to and including the Black album).

And Anthrax too.

NZ Metal bands

Post 6

Ac-1D

Anthrax.... That's one I can relate to!! The Penikufesin Ep was one of there best but I like Persistence of Time, the bestest!!!

NZ Metal bands

Post 7

SMURF

I'd agree with your choice. Kids today just don't know what music is.

I was never a big fan of Red Hot Chillie Peppers but what has that guy done to his hair!!!!?????!!!!

NZ Metal bands

Post 8

Ac-1D

?
Who knows? they're freaks.

But I like freaks.

NZ Metal bands

Post 9

SMURF

This conversation has inspired me to play some of my older stuff and it's been like a breath of fresh air.

I love rock and roll
So put another coin in the jukebox baby.....

NZ Metal bands

Post 10

Ac-1D

I'm listening to an old lounge album. . .

Istanbul (not Constantinople) by Joe Carr and 80 drums around the world. . .

80's Metal

Post 11

Modest Mart

I also admit that Suicidal Tendencies were one of the greatest bands and Anthrax too. But only rescently have Anthrax are now showing a sparkle of their former selfs. ST have gone a bit up their own asshole.

80's Metal

Post 12

SMURF

I certainly agree with your comment about ST. Things have never been quite the same since Lights, Camera Revolution. Personally, my fave track is Institutionalised.

And am I the only person to think that Megadeath suck?

80's Metal

Post 13

Modest Mart

Megadeth did suck but again another band turning to its roots and regaining a lot of respect. I don't listen to them anymore but I still respect Dave Mustaine for his guts.

Besides, as Thrash/Power goes Nevermore and Iced Earth are far better!

80's Metal

Post 14

SMURF

Don't you think it's a shame that the Donnington Festival went to the wall a bit.

Donnington

Post 15

Modest Mart

Donnington going down the pan was not welcome. I think metal is going through a renewal process. I myself am have started going abroad for festivals. This year I went to Dynamo and it was sssooo metal, far better than Donnington!

Admittedly Donnington was about 5 miles from where I live and Dynamo was a 14 hour coach trip but it was worth it.

It has also opened up a whole new world of metal in Europe to me. There are bloody loads of them (mostly in Germany). Currently I am trying to get to Wacken but money will have the last say.

Donnington

Post 16

SMURF

Things may be on the up as far as European metal may be concerned but who can forget the warblings of Helloween, Saxon and other such "interesting" groups?

And we really need a good festival in Britain. I enjoyed Donnington as apart from the music it was just such a fantastic atmosphere and that's what's important about festivals. Oh and it's just up the road from where I live too which helps.

Donnington

Post 17

MillieColemanMillard

I'll never forget seeing "Vixen" there - what a quality band... The 15 minute bass solo really was something to behold if you're into self-flagellation (which I'm not by the way!)

Donnington

Post 18

Modest Mart

I agree entirely, the atmosphere is very important but it has to be said that in Europe, the atmosphere is not only electric but everyone (that's everyone including Security personnel) is into Metal. That in itself helps with atmosphere, there is no hostility of any nature, just a lot of respect.

Donnington did have a good atmosphere, I will never forget my first donnington or the last. Britain seriously needs a dose of Europe festival to up its moral. More importantly the organisation that these European festivals have, where in Britain can you go to a festival with showers? and flushing toilets? Dynamo had both! Where did we go wrong?

Vixen

Post 19

Modest Mart

What ever happened to those lovely ladies? Are they still around? or just round now?

Donnington

Post 20

SMURF

SHOWERS!!! That goes against all laws of festivals if you ask me!smiley - smiley

All the festivals in Britain have gone down the pan and all dancey ravy crap. Maybe we should contact the organisers of Dynamo and get them to set up an equivalent over here.

And Vixen were cool.

A metal revival is long overdue.

Key: Complain about this post