A Conversation for Transhumanism or Picking Up Where Evolution Left Off

Concider this

Post 1

Rincewiz

One might argue that the fact we haven't already done this and don't plan on doing it for some time, states that basicly what evolution wants of us.
We don't have such an unholy fear of genetic engeneering and downloading oneself in computers for nothing, it is very likely we have those fears for a reason.

I would concur that the evo/revo-lution of mankind stagnated some hundreds or thousands of years ago. I believe space expansion a possible answer. The fact remains goverments are holding us back, seeing no gain in it.

Any thoughts?

Concider this

Post 2

Researcher 205179

I would say that as powerful as evolution is it is power that has strict limits.
evolution generally only makes things just as strong as they need and no more, as to "over engineer" something would take energy away from reproduction and so reduce the genes chances of propagating.
also evolution likes to re-invent things to make them better and this can limit how good that thing can eventually get. for instance the human eye has "badly designed" nerve connections.

evolution,like dawkins blind watchmaker, has no intelligence or forthought and this too reduces evolutions power.

so transhumanism is just humans taking their own design as given to them by evolution and applying intelligent design to pushing the human design further than evolution would or could do so, be this to increase or redesign the brain, cyber enhance the body or relocate extra earth or many things we cant even think of yet. we are a weak fragile species in an unforgiving universe. evolution has delivered a brain capable of outdooing natures own work to make the human species last longer and spread further and seek out new life and new civilisations etc. etc. so why not go for it.

I would add that it would probably be best if we learnt to be good at species meddling before we turn on our selves for safetys sake.

any comments?

Concider this

Post 3

Rincewiz

I concider it rather egocentric of man to assume we have the capacity to surpass nature.

Otherwise, who defines nature? Us. So can we judge ourselves in this matter? No.

Actually this is a pointless but very amusing argument.

Question: If evolution is everything, then what would we become if we were to surpass it?

Concider this

Post 4

Hilarious Joke

In daily life, the urge for man is to control nature.

Take a look at gardens, pets, genetic engineering etc. But by attempting to control nature, we have disturbed the perfect ecosystem forged out of millenia of Mother Nature's tireless efforts with the gentle tool of evolution. An increase in nature control, and who knows how much more damage we could do? Forests are being entirely wiped out, pollution is killing birds, nuclear wastes are in the ocean.

If we were to survive for longer, imagine how much more would be consumed and destroyed to fuel civilisation.

This isn't evolution.

Concider this

Post 5

TaoLizard

Yes, it is.

Lizard

Concider this

Post 6

Researcher 205179

I would see mankinds wholesale attitude and its pollution decimation etc of environments and subsequent loss of flora/fauna as part of evolution.
the contingent part of evolution, volcanoe eruption, asteroid hit, plate techtonics all have caused "damage " to environments and caused flora/fauna loss or modification.
mankinds dalliences are just a new type of evolutionary thing

Concider this

Post 7

Hilarious Joke

Interesting, I read a book called 'The Science of Discword' by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen, which looked at mankind and nature.
One of the points it makes:
"Now we've become a context for the environment - we change it to suit US. We need to learn how to do that, but going back to some golden age in which primitive humans allegedly lived in harmony with nature isn't the answer."

Concider this

Post 8

TaoLizard

I agree. What we need to do is take MORE responsability for the health of the planet. Not just throw our hands up in the air and let it take it's course. It's far to late for that.

-roger

Concider this

Post 9

toughjackmoore

i agree with you. Even the tsunami was like natures spring cleaning. Maybe creation itself wants us to modify evolution.

Concider this

Post 10

kangalew oftimes Lew-- NEVER Louis!

"Nature's Spring cleaning." I have often thought that the planet Earth might be a living thing, and that it would regard humanity as a skin complaint. That our cities, of which we are so proud, are really festering sores that are spreading poison into the planet's life blood. Maybe earthquakes are like those little shivers that a horse does to dislodge flies. Mock me not, for who knows what mysteries lie in the X-files of earth. The Shadow knows!smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more