A Conversation for Secret Societies

What secrets?

Post 1

mindmagic

Freemasonry, as governed by the United Grand Lodge of England, is not a secret society. Everything you want to know can be found on the web or in certain exposure books. It also has no connection with the Cabala or Rosicrucianism (subjects which I also know something about).

What secrets?

Post 2

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Its true that the FreeMasons are now a society which has no secrets to hide. At its inception, however, the Masonic Society was a "secret society", as were Cabalists and Rosicrucians. Membership was restricted as were happenings and knowledge within the societies. The very fact that "Exposure books" have been written about them shows this.

This is why I chose to include these - the best known of the Secret Societies - in my article.

If you know of any other information that you feel should be included, let me know and I will do what I can. Thanks. smiley - biggrin

G7

What secrets?

Post 3

mindmagic

Thanks. I think it would be helpful if you could make it clear that your article is intended to be historical and that's not the way it is now! I have just added a very brief Guide Entry giving the URL to a portal for Freemasonry - you should find plenty of useful information there.

What secrets?

Post 4

Agonistes

The level of secrecy in masonry would depend surely upon the level. Some "secrets" are available in publications, but there is certainly an awful lot which is not published.

What secrets?

Post 5

mindmagic

As far as I know, eveything you could possibly want to know is in print somewhere. What did you have in mind? I'm happy to answer sensible questions.

What secrets?

Post 6

Researcher 198618

In researching so-called secret societies for an on line history (http://www.abaris.net/freemasonry/marin-fraternities.htm), I have learned that while little is actually "secret," the various societies have done a remarkable job of keeping their Lodge's affairs private. Hence, often little is available to researchers at libraries or local history collections. It has been my experience that individual members of various Lodges are quite forthcoming in sharing recollections about their particular organizations.

What secrets?

Post 7

Agonistes

As a slight non sequitur, there is a marvellous speech made in the Commons about being a Freemason. See

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm199798/cmhansrd/vo980506/debtext/80506-58.htm

for this. Mr. Tony Baldry (Banbury) talks about how he asked the membership details for various golf clubs and was turned away with the membership being "secret" - and yet some people are asking for membership details of the masons to be made public.

Agonistes

What secrets?

Post 8

BertramWooster

Look, settle the matter for your own personal insatiable curiosity once and for all: work up the balls to go to a chapter house and ask one of these trouser rollers face to face! Surely if your powers of suspission are a half the wonder in real life that they are in a blog, then you should be a bloody Jack Nicholson in "China Town" and see through their deception. Blogs are limited in their detail, and are best used as a tool to give you reference to the *real world*.
I don't mean this as a reply to a specific post, as many have been interesting and insghiful, but the suspicious ones that never seem satisfied with any answer ( you certainly know who you are) are abusing this type of general (nonspecific/noncerdible) medium to ponitificate from the inane to the paranoid.
Again, go to the Masons, ask them point Blank "What the Heck is really going on Padre!?"
In fact, I dare you to do so and then post a reply.
Yes, this is my challenge to you daring scinic souls. Go worth and Inquire!!!
Maybe they'll let you be a mason and you'll find out that you love it!

Ok, Bit of a PO'd rant there.
Best wishes and magnonimnity to all,
B Wooster. UE.

What secrets?

Post 9

BertramWooster

ps: Also, sorry for the typos: I was in a rush.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more