A Conversation for Bass Guitars

Do four-fingered people make better bass players?

Post 1

Cruel Twist of Fate

Does anyone know of anyone who plays bass and has only four fingers? Do they make better players? I play bass, but find that the fifth finger acts as a bridge for the other four. But I am intrigued by the concept of four fingers - four strings.

Post 2

Andy

Well, I've seen a couple people play bass that are missing fingers, but in both cases, it was their right (picking) hand. One guy had only 2 fingers, which he used to hold a pick. The other had 4, and used a pick most of the time, but also plucked a bit. Both were good players, but I wouldn't say they were better players because of the missing fingers.

Post 3

shrinkwrapped

Er... I've only got four fingers (per hand). I take it you mean four fingers in _total_ - else I'm very confused.

Removed

Post 4

U135579

This post has been removed.

Post 5

Cruel Twist of Fate

Oh dear, oh dear. Shouldn't you be posting replies to the "pedantic literalist" section? Or are you about to reply and tell me that the word "literalist" does not actually exist. No, it doesn't, but hey - that's language for you.

I only posted the damned question for a laugh - but if you're really going to go and get all confused over your fingers and thumbs (and by extension I presume you have the same difficulties with "arse" and "elbow") then here it is:

QUESTION:
"Would it be a case supported by fact that the demonstrable skills of a bass player would be significatly impaired if one of their digits (NOTE confused people) were missing on the hand that performed either the exertion of pressure to form a note, or the plucking of strings that in unison with the former action compositely may be called 'playing' ?"

Answers on a postcard.
Cruel Twist of Fate.

Post 6

Andy

Thank you!!!!!! Christ in a rowboat . . . if we have to worry about distinguishing between "finger" and "thumb" then we'll never make any progress.

I guess the pedants are still a bit upset over the whole millenium issue . . .

smiley - smiley

Removed

Post 7

U135579

Post 8

Glider

Check out excellent South African Jazz pianist Bheki Mseleku. He has two fingers partially missing on his left hand and it gives him a distinct advantage in adding power to high notes. As a Base player (with all his fingers and thumbs) I was a little dissapointed that you didn't inlcude Stanley Clarke, Bootsy Collins, and Mark King in you illustrious list. Clarke is the only man I know who can rival Jaco Pastorius inusing a bass as a lead instrument. Funk wouldn't be what it is without the Bootsy's Basslines. And Mark King is the consummate Bass Player/Lead Singer, a Royal Academy musician (i.e. classically trained) and had the highest insurance policy in history for a digit (his right thumb). I used to gaffer tape my right thumb just like him and try to slap my way through "Lessons in Love" but I didn't play any better with the tape and my thumbnail nearly came off once so I abandoned it.

Post 9

Glider

Sorry, I meant his right hand

Removed

Post 10

U135579

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more