A Conversation for They Might Be Giants - the Band

Update

Post 1

jonnyara

I just found this entry and thought I'd bring the discography up to date.

TMBG have released two new albums since Long Tall Weekend, Mink Car on Restless in the US and a children's ablum called No! (although whether this has actually been released seems to be disputed)

Also, they have a huge on-line following, something that has always really surprised me, check out [URL removed by moderator] or the official (and fantastic) [URL removed by moderator]

Something else that may be of interest to some is that they got the name from a film, also entitled They Might Be Giants, which is about an insane man who believes he is Sherlock Holmes and his psychiatrist whose name is Dr Watson. The title of the film is a reference to Don Quioxte (I hate spelling that name).

Update

Post 2

Highland Flood, Muse of Stagehands and Civil Servants, and Keeper of a Straight Face

Thanks for the update! I have a copy of Mink Car lying around, and would be happy to do or collaborate on a brief review of it to add to the entry.

Very briefly, I felt the same way about it as I did about the previous two studio albums (not counting the MP3, which I haven't heard), only more so. My fandom goes back to FLOOD (not just because of the title which so amazingly corresponds with my last name), and that remains my favourite but I think they've matured and innovated a lot since then. JOHN HENRY was the breakthrough in that respect, and like FLOOD, it contains some pop songs to rival the Beatles or Paul Simon, but there still were several throwaway songs on that album. FACTORY SHOWROOM was a strange follow-up, almost like a second sophomore slump, as it contained a few gems, but I wouldn't call the other works "experimental" - they felt more like the band was falling back on a formula, albeit a formula of widely varied eccentricity. And MINK CAR seems to continue the trend - smarter, better musicians, more polished sound, different musical styles, but still content with mediocrity a lot of the time.

So I guess I might not write the most positive review of MINK CAR. I did like it, though. If it were by any other group than They Might Be Giants, I'd be really impressed and think that the group has real potential.

Sorry I'm in so pessimistic a mood. Maybe I'll come back here after I've listened to MINK CAR again (it's been a few months), and I'll be more cheery.

Update

Post 3

Highland Flood, Muse of Stagehands and Civil Servants, and Keeper of a Straight Face

When I said that MINK CAR, if it were by any other group than TMBG, would show a lot of potential for that group, I meant that I already have fairly high standards to which I hold a TMBG album. I've heard some fantastic songs by them already, so I'm prepared to forgive them one album in a row that doesn't measure up to the one before it (e.g. APOLLO 18, FACTORY SHOWROOM), but not two. Then again, maybe I should listen to the MP3, because it might have been their most brilliant work yet and I just don't know it.

Update

Post 4

jonnyara

Yeah, except its not. (the MP3 stuff that is)

I have to admit to being really disappointed with TMBG over recent years. I really liek Factory Showroom, but it didn't feel like a TMBG album. Mink Car is average. Maybe my expectations are too high but I don't expect average. I also didn't expect them to fall into the trap of remkaing songs.

Anyway No! is released in the US on June 11. Thats all I really wanted to say.

Update

Post 5

Kevin of the Apocalypse

Well, "No!" is out and I'm not terribly fond of it. "Mink Car" was much better. Then again, I'm a little biased since I heard most of the album in concert last year. Those guys rock live!

Disasterboy
Formerly "Kota"
Co-author of this entry.

Update

Post 6

Geggs

Just came across the 'They Got Lost' compilation the other day. Don't know how long it's been around.

I kinda like it, in an odd harking-back-to-the-old-days kind of way.

Geggs

Update

Post 7

Kevin of the Apocalypse

I don't remember "They Got Lost" as a comp. What other tracks does it have, if I may ask?

Update

Post 8

Geggs

Well, for completeness, the track listing is:

1. Rest Awhile
2. Truth in Your Words
3. On the Drag
4. All Alone
5. Down to the Bottom of the Sea
6. I'm Sick (of this American life)
7. Words Are Like
8. I Am a Human Head
9. Oranges
10. Empty Bottle Blues
11. They Got Lost
12. Reprehensible
13. Rat Patrol
14. The Army's Tired Now
15. Certain People I Could Name
16. Theme to McSweeney's
17. Dollar for Dollar
18. Mosh Momken Anadon
19. Token Back to Brooklyn
20. Disappointing Show
21. Oranges Testimonial

I think that all these tracks where recorded for specific shows or are other rare releases.

Geggs

Update

Post 9

Kevin of the Apocalypse

Thanks. I remember this now. I don't own it really. I may look into it. Thanks again.

Key: Complain about this post