A Conversation for American Teenage Stereotypes

Complaint

Post 1

Researcher 167174

I just have to complain.
Most more seriouse skaters DO NOT listen to that kind of music,
they either listen to Hip-Hop (Wu-Tang Clan), Hard Rock (Iron Maiden) or SkatePunk (Millencollin, NOFX)
Most of te ones that I have met listenen to SkatePunk, NONE listen to more commersial radio music.

Basic - Skaters HATE radio music.

Complaint

Post 2

belty

Are you more annoyed when someone gets your musical tastes wrong than when they say you are not that intelligent?
Just curious. I'd forgotten how important music choice was to some people till I met someone who chose his girlfriends according to their musical tastes. Or does everyone do this except me?

Complaint

Post 3

wide_inside

and I like the way you claim that you're into hard rock, and then mention Iron Maiden. Ouch, middle of the road old has beens.

wide

Complaint

Post 4

Alphecca

I really hate to be the one to tell you this, but...
due to the predominance of skaters, and mtv/radio exec's ruthless and wholly incomprehensible desire to get as much money as possible by appealing to the widest audience posssible, skate music is being played on mainstream media. If you want examples, look at Limp Bizkit and Eminem. (ok, ok, rubbish examples, but I think point has been made.)
Of course, that's just how it is in England, but I can't believe it's _that_ different across the Atlantic.

To whoever wrote this original post, the name escapes me at present.. you're soo right.

Complaint

Post 5

Phil Rose esq

Is it different in America or are you buying into a fiction that 'freaks' (punks by any other name...) are violent? Perhaps they're more so in America but in Britain they/we just pretend.

Complaint

Post 6

Girleight

That is so true about the importance of musical taste. At my 6th form (in england!) we have moshers and trendies. Moshers like maralyn manson and korn and trendies are into dance. My mosher friends see trendy as the worst possble insult and visa versa. Why can't we all just listen to Blur and get on with it? smiley - winkeye

Complaint

Post 7

Vibromatic_Inc

Ick, see how things change is just a short time. I am a little older than the previous poster but I can see what is meant. Trendys , yes , also called Terry Townos - used to be seen wearing Ben Sherman shirts, now having no specific uniform but still easily identifiable.
Moshers. Hmm. The concept of a Mansonite or a dripy little Korn/Limp fan in a real mosh pit is funny to say the least yet they are called moshers it seems. From experience these are always the first to die (metaphorically speaking of course). Often they prove to be strangely aerodynamic...

Complaint

Post 8

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

all generalisations are false.

Complaint

Post 9

Tube - the being being back for the time being

OOoohh, yes... complaining! smiley - winkeye

Look, it says here about Goths:
"Music - Generally hard-core or techno, with some punk mixed in there. Favourite bands are Bauhaus, Dead Can Dance, The Sisters of Mercy, Nine Inch Nails etc."

I won't start quibbling about NIN being Goth or not. BUT even if I were to accept that hard-core/techno with punk was the general taste in music, Bauhaus, DCD and Sisters are most definitely none of that. smiley - ermsmiley - tongueout

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A473924 for a longer treatment of Goth music.

Tube

Complaint

Post 10

*waves to Tube*

Although these are American teenage Goth-wannabes, remember smiley - winkeye

Complaint

Post 11

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Hi Lizzie! smiley - huhsmiley - winkeye

Ok, that *might* be a point. But DCD is still as un-techno as it gets.

I'm a little busy, but I'll try to post something in 'our' thread today. smiley - smiley

smiley - cheers
Tube

Complaint

Post 12

Heh smiley - winkeye

I wouldn't know, I haven't heard any. Yet. smiley - smiley

Oh, cool. smiley - ok

Complaint

Post 13

Rincewiz

This is a reply to this Posting

Poet by the Toga (I was born on a Thursday) - Njan's little apple blossom.

--------------------

HELLO! ARE YOU ALL LISTENING?! The guy reached to the very core of the issue.

Wouldn't it be better to change this misleaded article into a entry about generalisation and it's effects, concluding with the advice to just do what you like, listen to what you, like and dress how you like? (think what you like should be no problem)

Complaint

Post 14

Rincewiz

This is a reply to this Posting

Poet by the Toga (I was born on a Thursday) - Njan's little apple blossom.

--------------------

HELLO! ARE YOU ALL LISTENING?! The guy reached to the very core of the issue.

Wouldn't it be better to change this misleaded article into a entry about generalization and it's effects, concluding with the advice to just do what you like, listen to what you, like and dress how you like? (think what you like should be no problem)

Complaint

Post 15

*coughs* I am a FEMALE, thank you

Complaint

Post 16

Rincewiz

My humble appoligies you highness

Complaint

Post 17

Yes, that's much more like it smiley - biggrin

Complaint

Post 18

Pope Edgar Montgomery 3rd, Lord of all that's heavy and electric (and ANARCHY), now not grooming for 1 week+ as a statement, and

Don't you just not hate the way townies call you goth when you are goth! Example: P.E, playing football. King of the scallies goes to make a shot. Little goth boy(me) hacks him down in a particularly brutal but satisfying way. King of the scallies- F*** off, goth. Little goth boy- Goth what i'm a goth and nobody told me. Oh dear i'm so upset. Somebody called me what i am!

Complaint

Post 19

Alex Danov

What I really can't stand is being labelled as a Goth when my taste in music runs into so many more things than that. I wasn't aware Goths liked Less Than Jake. Also, I am called a Goth simply for wearing black. This is proper shirts, nice shoes and trousers, nothing ostentatious, merely black. This is hard to understand some days.

Complaint

Post 20

Pope Edgar Montgomery 3rd, Lord of all that's heavy and electric (and ANARCHY), now not grooming for 1 week+ as a statement, and

Yeah Less than Jake are good aren't they.smiley - winkeye
But I do like heavier stuff. HIM or Murderdolls for example.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more