This is the Message Centre for MadSnacker-h2g2 ambassador to Yorkshire and the UK

Hi There

Post 41

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I can't see Trump getting in again, I think the only reason he got in last time is because the US didn't want a female president

Hi There

Post 42

MadSnacker-h2g2 ambassador to Yorkshire and the UK

I can't see him win again either, but he pulled off an entirely improbable victory in 2016. He simply can't be taken as anything but a serious force during election season, when anything can come about.
As for Hillary, I voted for her, but I cringed as I did it. We could use a woman President, but I wouldn't know if SHE would have made a good choice. Hopefully Biden and his team make a good V.P. choice, and if it's a woman, she's able to do a really good job. Maybe even a female Chief Of Staff??
smiley - shrug

Hi There

Post 43

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Maggie Thatcher may have been an old witch but she did a lot of good for the country, it didn't look like it at the time but looking back, she was a lot better than the men, before and since

Hi There

Post 44

Ah...
smiley - smiley
Margaret Thatcher struck me as intent on doing the best job possible for the U.K. I don't know if Hillary would have done anything nearly as well.
I also wondered about Bill and what would he would he have done being that close to the person in charge.
He was a 2 term President, after all.
smiley - shrug

Hi There

Post 45

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

This is true, I have a feeling her cabinet would have gone to Bill rather than Hillary, being a bunch of chauvanists. I saw that Mrs America (being shown on BBC2) the ERA was finally ratified in 2017 45 years AFTER it first went through congress, 45 years before woman got equal rights in law, after the law went through both houses. I was gobsmacked and appalled

https://www.citywomen.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/gender-equality-timeline.pdf

This is a facinating read on how far womens rights have come in 200 years, yes that's right 200 years. In 1870 the law allowed women to own their own property, this was the first big right for women

Hi There

Post 46

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Sorry, it looks like you'll have to cut and paste the link, it hasn't linked automatically, it's well worth a read, its not long

Hi There

Post 47

Thank you for the information, Reefgirl. It's worth the read, and I will keep it stored.

smiley - smiley
I should also do a review of what the feminist movement has done here as well. My guess is that both of our nations have had nearly parallel struggles for women's rights.

Hi There

Post 48

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

True but, if you don't mind me saying, the US has been quite a way behind the UK. You've never had a Female President or VP no woman has had a high profile cabinet job since Ms Rice, no female Joint Chief's, Defence Secretary, When were the first women voted into the Senete?

I was lucky growing up when I did

Hi There

Post 49

smiley - erm
True, we've not abandoned patriarchy by any means.
Your country has done well in seeing it banished, at least in a legal sense.

Hi There

Post 50

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

We've still got a glass ceiling to shatter, but it's got a load of cracks in it, it's taken 100 years but it's on the verge

Hi There

Post 51

Hi, Reefgirl!!
smiley - smiley
I hope you're doing well!!
It looks like Los Angeles may be pulling back from disaster, as our hospitalization and infection rates are slowly reducing. However, there are repeated glitches in the data collection here, so one can't really tell.
smiley - erm
We DO have repeated trouble with our younger population not taking the situation seriously. Still lots of partying with mass crowds, etc.
Our mayor has been GROSSLY ineffective at providing punishment for that sort of thing.

Hi There

Post 52

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

We didn't have that many problems, few Lockdown parties that were dealt with by police, people not social distancing in parks and stuf but a word by police and they moved on. Fines and prison terms were handed out but not many. I think we, as a country, understood just how bad this virus is, yes Lockdown was inconvienient but we mmade the best of it, Dunkirk and Blitz Spirit kicked in and everyone pulled together and did our bit, plus our Prime Minister grasped the problem and listened to his advisers. Yes he's a buffon but he understood the problem and did what he could to deal with it, yes mistakes were made but it's been 100 years since something like this grabbed the worlds attention and he's willing to do it all again if a second spike looks like coming.

Key: Complain about this post