This is the Message Centre for Phil

Other People

Post 1

Phil

It's other people who go to the doctor feeling unwell and end up in casualty for a couple of days isn't it?
It's other people who are told that you've got to make lifestyle changes because their health will suffer badly if they don't. Other people sit in wards getting prodded and poked by doctors, having blood taken by nurses regularly.
It's other people because when you're young, feeling well it doesn't happen to you. Sometimes it happens to friends of friends or if you're unlucky to someone you know personally, but not to you.

It does.

Sitting in a hospital ward with drip and pumped drugs going into your arm gives you plenty of time to think. Being told you're now on drugs to control a problem for the rest of your life is somewhat sobering. Having begin a totally structured regime at the drop of a hat has just got to be done. If you don't do what you're told then it will quite possibly kill you but the doctors and nurses don't tell you that - they're far too polite (and realise that telling you won't help anyway).

Insulin dependent diabetes, it's what other people get, even famous ones, not something for you.
Hello other people, I'm now one of you.

Other People

Post 2

Witty Moniker

Gosh, Phil... I'm so sorry to hear this. It is a very big adjustment. My mom had type 2 and I remember all the dietary planning involved in addition to the medication.

I have a 10 year old neighbor that received a type 1 diagnosis a few weeks ago. She's coping like a real trooper, while we adults were blubblering like babies. I think there's something to be said for youth when faced with some of life's more difficult hurdles.

*sympathy*
Witty

Other People

Post 3

coelacanth

*big hug*
smiley - fish

Other People

Post 4

Babel17

What can I say?
Yet again, another situation where I feel completely helpless. smiley - sadface
Just know I'm there for you if you need it.
J.

Other People

Post 5

marvthegrate LtG KEA

What B-17 said my friend. My father has diabetes and my maternal grandmother. I expect that I will find that I will have it sooner or later. I do hope that you will be able to make the adjustment easily. When dad found out it was pretty hard. You know how to get a hold of us.

Marv.

Other People

Post 6

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

smiley - hug I am so sorry, Phil. Let us know how we can help.

G7

Other People

Post 7

Titania (gone for lunch)

You can do it!

*suddenly feels too cheery*

I know it's probably a bit of a shock, but there are medications, and you probably have to start thinking a bit more about what you eat...

...but you're not alone! Other People are living with that reality every day - and surviving!

I myself always make sure to have my inhalator and 'emergency pills' with me - simply because I never know what kind of situation I'll have to deal with... every now and then, kids coming straight from their riding lesson, still wearing their riding gear, step into the 'no dogs allowed' wagon in the commuter train... simply just because they don't think of it...

...and I'm left with the choice of either: telling them to get off the train and choose another wagon (while I still have enough air left to speak) - or get off myself and chose another wagon - or start using those medicals...

...hazards of life, simply...

...and you'll get used to it... easy to say right now, but, after all, mankind is the most adaptle species on earth besides rats... flattering comparison, isn't it? Styx would love it...

Oh drat, sorry if I sound too cheerful again, but, after all, I'm an incurable optimist...smiley - smiley

Other People

Post 8

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

That must be nearly overwhelming, Phil.

Keep in mind that once the shock wears off, you will find it is a manageable condition, and one where tremendous progress is being made in new treatments. My neice wears an insulin pump, and with it she can keep her levels nearly normal. She still has to watch how much sugars and carbohydrates she eats, but she can at least eat some of everything.
smiley - dog

Other People

Post 9

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

What an exasperating business, to be pitched into the need for constant self-awareness. Mind you, once you get into a routine, I'm told it gets easier. Have you talked to Hypoman?

Other People

Post 10

Phil

Thanks guys. It's hard trying to just take it all in at the moment.
I know tt doesn't stop me from doing anything - well once I've got it under control anyway. I have met several people with type 1 diabetes before and of course seeing Steve Redgrave win gold in Sydney does show that you can do it.
Must go breakfast calls.

Other People

Post 11

Munchkin

Ditto to all of the above rightly. I've known a couple of people with diabetes, and they all lived what I would term normal lives. But then, other than my gran, they had it from childhood so had the chance to grow up with it. You strike me as someone who'll do fine and we are all here if you need a wibble.

Other People

Post 12

Garius Lupus

Very sorry to hear your news, Phil. If only real life was as easy as virtual life, I would whip you up something in the lab and cure you. I have read something about diabetes in an alternate medicine magazine, but I can't remember the details, other than there may be better ways to treat it than conventional medicine. I'll try and find it and let you know.

Other People

Post 13

Garius Lupus

Well, I found this site:
[URL removed by moderator]
Oh, wait. I bet that gets moderated out. I'll post it at the other place.
It seems that alternative medicines can be useful adjuncts to the conventional treatments, and can help with some of the possible complications. The site seems to be pretty well balanced.

Other People

Post 14

Garius Lupus

Well, I found this site:
[URL removed by moderator]
Oh, wait. I bet that gets moderated out. I'll post it at the other place.
It seems that alternative medicines can be useful adjuncts to the conventional treatments, and can help with some of the possible complications. The site seems to be pretty well balanced.

Other People

Post 15

Phil

Thanks Garius. It's now in my bookmarks folder for reading later on.

Other People

Post 16

Garius Lupus

No problem. What are friends for? smiley - smiley

Other People

Post 17

Chris Tonks

Quite so! You know we're here for you at all times, Phil! *manly smiley - hug*

I'm truly sorry to hear about this news. I'm sure it must have come as a shock. But, as the others say, once you're in the routine, and stick to it, you'll be fine! smiley - smiley

Other People

Post 18

Sol

That's harsh. smiley - sadface

*sends out waves of ineffectual sympathy*

But it will get easier.

Other People

Post 19

Kaeori

You will make all the changes to your lifestyle that you need, and you won't let it stop you from being a great, dynamic person. You will control it, not it you. In fact, you'll be more than ever before.

I just *know* it!smiley - smooch

smiley - coffee

Other People

Post 20

Nikki-D

It's one thing taking life-changing decisions oneself, but quite another having them thrust upon you so unceremoniously.

I understand something of what you feel as my best friend is on 'forever' medication to control a life-threatening blood pressure and heart problem - she went through some really down times, but her natural spirit and love of life pulled her through.

You will come through it too.

Talk to us - we're here for you.

Nikki

Key: Complain about this post