A Conversation for United States of America (USA)

People in this forum need to Import Humor

Post 21

parlau

Er, perhaps you didn't notice my tongue firmly in my cheek, don't get too shirty, a bit of fun never hurt anybody (whose skin ain't too thin).

AG

USA needs to Import Humor

Post 22

Caleb

We export that? Wow. You learn something new every day...

Post 23

Skrik

Is Bill Cosby American?

Post 24

Caleb

In all cases he is definitely African-American.

Post 25

wingpig

The US can keep Bob Hope. Is he dead yet? I think it's safe to say that if he is english his alleged humour is more in the american style. In that it's humor, not humour, and is thereby missing something.

Post 26

wingpig

Yes, you bastards, you export it to us. We've already got too many crap tabloid alleged newspapers that are turning the menfolk of the country into ignorant, slobbering fools. People from London started off that way but it's spreading. If only Baywatch was made with a little irony it would all be allright. irony, though, is the crucial factor missing from anything American that purports to be humour. Except for that issuing from Parker, Stone, Abrahams, Zucker, Zucker and a few others. DO they put something in the atmosphere breathed by the audience when filming sit alleged-coms? Why the hell are they laughing when nothing has happened onset for at least five minutes? Is there one of those little lights saying "laugh now - that was the punchline" in case they missed it? The fact that the US is humourless is profoundly illustrated by the fact that the US invented the laugh-track.

Post 27

parlau

US humour is good when it is disgusting..
Does Lenny Bruce tickle your fancy perhaps?

AG

Canned Laughter

Post 28

Global Village Idiot

First of all, I'd like to say that I fully appreciate US humour - for every Fawlty Towers there's a Friends, for every Blackadder a Seinfeld. Of course there's only one HHGG, though. Oh, plus this one smiley - smiley.

One difference though is that viewers stateside seem to have a higher tolerance for canned laughter. M*A*S*H was always broadcast in the US with a laughter track, and in the UK without. Once in the UK they played the wrong tape, with the laughs, and they got complaints - once in the US they made an episode without the laughter, and it won an award. From this I conclude that the people of both countries appreciate being treated like adults - but only the Brits enjoy it on a regular basis.

Post 29

Eep

They think they understand irony, and they laugh at it, which means they are probably happy. But often they confuse it with tragedy.

The man who's afraid to fly plucking up the courage to do so and then dying in an air crash (as per Alanis Morissette's clueless ditty) is tragic. Whereas the man who's afraid to fly taking the car instead - well, it's safer, isn't it? - and then having an Airbus drop on his head as he sits in a traffic jam on the A303 is ironic.

And there's the rub. Since them colonials have no grasp of subtlety, it'll be wasted on them, and importing more is simply going to make them frown a lot. Best leave things as they are.

Seinfeld?

Post 30

wingpig

Seinfeld is not funny. There are plenty of thing's I'll laugh at but not him. Or his hair.

Seinfeld?

Post 31

Eep

Seinfeld isn't funny? Good. I thought it was just me.

Post 32

Caleb

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into a open sewer and die.

Post 33

Eep

Okay, so maybe the USA does need to import some humour.

Post 34

parlau

They do.
Benny Hill !!!
Gasp..choke..vomit

AG

Post 35

Caleb

Who?

Post 36

Nighthawk

Everyone is also forgetting BeverlyHills 90210, Melrose Place, Babe (oops I mean bay) watch, and other shows of that genre. You can't tell me those are not humor (even if they are not intended as such by their writers)

Post 37

wingpig

I can tell you that they're not humor. they are not HUMOUR, which is a very different thing. They may be amusing to people but the sad fact is that the people who make them take the whole thing seriously. We can laugh at US sitcoms over here if we laugh at the audience laughing at the alleged script, but cannot laugh at the script itself. Christ knows what the audience is laughing at. All we can do is hope that we never become so easily pleased.

Post 38

Caleb

What can I say? It's a living!

Post 39

Jenny and Fred the cheese

a man walks into a room and trips over a childs toy, the american luaghs, the man looks at the american and says "i trip over, and somehow thats funny?" the englishman luaghs. a few minutes later the irishman luaghs.

Leno's Not Funny.

Post 40

IgPaJo

Oh please, Jay Leno funny?!?! In my opinion the man's an idiot. As far as late night television goes, I prefer David Letterman and Conan O'Brian. Give me Dave's Stupid Human Tricks or Conan's bizarre characters and talking TV interviews anyday.

Key: Complain about this post