A Conversation for United States of America (USA)

USA needs to Import Humor

Post 281

Anonymouse

I don't mind... Looks good in tight bluejeans. smiley - winkeye

Post 282

Anonymouse

Uhm... Did you happen to check out how -old- that was? smiley - winkeye

Change of Subject

Post 283

Anonymouse

I would! (But then I'm just weird. smiley - winkeye)

USA needs to Import Ali G

Post 284

Clarisse

Even though it was a take off from a Beatles movie, America came out with my favourite (yes, I'm Canadian) THE MONKEES. Fortunately they play it on Much Music, or I'd be a lost soul.

Change of Subject

Post 285

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

But it wouldn't be very interesting, would it? Good for maybe five to ten minutes of entertainment at most.

Change of Subject

Post 286

Anonymouse

Wouldn't that kinda depend on the bird? I mean... Far-ranging, long-living migratory birds might regale us for hours, even, with their adventures. smiley - winkeye

help

Post 287

wsfn

This is reletively off subject, but one of you lot must know the answer to this...what was the name of the extremely funny show with a bunch of guys never going to class at uni that had the fellow from the movie (later) "Drop Dead Fred"...I remember it in...say 1987???ish? It was one of my dead favs. (BRIT COM, by the by)

wsfn

help

Post 288

Paul the Brake

I think the show you are refering to was The Young Ones, Adrien Edmonson and the chap in Drop Dead Fred went on to do a show called Bottom that was a big hit hear in the UK It also became a massive hit when they did it live in a West End Theatre

help

Post 289

Paul the Brake

The guy in Drop Dead Fred is Rick Mail. He has been in loads of shows on British TV. He played the part of a politician in a comedy show here. his name in the show was Alan Basstard, the other guys in the Young Ones have not had as much work and fame as Rick & Adrian on the tv but I think they do ok.

help

Post 290

Paul the Brake

If you liked The Young Ones, You'll love Bottom. its available on video here. I don't know if its available on DVD yet though. smiley - smiley

Post 291

Yeah, but I was ticked off anyway. The flame spirit had ahold of me.

And where did you get that awesome smiley?

Change of Subject

Post 292

Ooh. Good point.

Post 293

Hoop the Mottle

I think you have a point about the vanity inherent in Americans.We do, however get out some characters and material that pokes fun at ourselves.We have a strain of commoner types like Bob Newhart and the comedians he's worked with that shows a propensity for demonstrating our own excesses.Bob is always the common sense character surrounded by buffoons.We love that here.We take a guy we can identify, like a Jack Benny or Frasier Crane and then place oddballs around him who live on a different plane and watch how they intersect.We take the guy with the "normal" position on things , place him in a group of dolts and idiots and then show how the "wackos" prevail over the one we identify with.We are always doing that here so we aren't always so stuck on ourselves.

Post 294

Anonymouse

I used majik... OR rather h2g2 used magick. smiley - winkeye

help

Post 295

Jenny and Fred the cheese

the thing is some good comedy does come out of the USA but all of it is written by either ex monty python freaks, they got their comedy sense from british roots, or hundreds of underpaid american proffesional writters from whome they only use a very small amount, a sort of infinate number of monkeys theorem, except with americans that would be 1 monkey to every 100 americans.

Post 296

So I've discovered. But dang it, we need those vampires permanently, to use as devilish grins.

Post 297

Hoop the Mottle

Clingy and easy to see through describes my favorite things to see women wear!

Post 298

Paul the Brake

Hey shass Reashercher 52097 would like to see you in something clingy and see through. if he gets the chance he will be just another vacuume cleaner smiley - winkeye

Post 299

Paul the Brake

I must stop eating all these JD fishies before I type something, the ss's look like the zz'z on my keyboard. Sorry Shazz, and I put an e on the end of vacuum, smiley - winkeye

Post 300

Paul the Brake

He might have something though, I wouldn't mind seeing you vacuum packed,smiley - bigeyes after all there is still a part of PtB in me.

Key: Complain about this post