A Conversation for Hot Desking

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 1

Munchkin

And here was me thinking my office was just badly organised. I feel so much better knowing there is a reason for this.

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 2

Soapy

And here was me thinking that the point was merely to piss off employees!

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 3

CAT

We had a look at HotDesking a while back, and everybody hated the idea. We thought it would be great 'cos we could sit next to the prettiest girls. Oddly enough it was the pretty girls who voted against it, and the blokes with sweaty palms etc.etc who voted for it.

Does anybody actually know of a place in the real world (ie NOT small advertising agencies where there are only 5 desks) where hot desking works. Damned if I do.

My desk currently has the followiing items on (or under) it:

35 CDs
1 Computer (naturally)
15 Books
1 Table Lamp
1 Dusty In Tray
1 recycling Box
1 Jar Coffee
1 Filthy Cup
200 Bits of Paper
5 Photographs
1 Rubiks Cube (unsolved)
1 CD Player
Assorted Shoes and Gym Kit
Assorted Magazines and Paper
1 Statue of Liberty Snow Storm.

Where would I put it all?

What's on your desk ?

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 4

Zed

Only ONE 'puter? You're just not trying hard enough, my friend. This desk (at home) has *counting* 4 'puters and two sterereros (4 speakers) and the one at work has between 2 & any random number of puters on it. Yes, I probably am a sad geek, but hey; I get paid for it! smiley - winkeye

H&K
Z

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 5

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

No mention of any in-tray though, so you have done well. Mind you mine is for show only smiley - smiley

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 6

Wand'rin star

Desk -top contents as of 4.41 pm
1 stationery tray which I keep trying to hid in a drawer but which keeps resurfacing
2 plants
3 files
1 computer
1 phone
2 coffee mugs (one dirty, but they're Chinese ones with lids, so only I know that)
3 files
1 money box
2 diaries (I haven't transferred every thing from last year yet
3 photographs and a bit of Chinese calligraphy
Some plant cuttings that I've just been given. I think I'll take them home NOW before anything else arrives.

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 7

Is mise Duncan

Desk top, right to left...

phone
mess
more mess
post-it pad
more mess
diary
computer
sellotape
millenium claendar mousemat
stapler
todays Guardian
more mess still
2 computer manuals
Windows NT CD all countries and languages set (60 disks)
Another stapler (?)

However, everything that matters is on my virtual desktop,
so I could hot desk if I could carry my PC around.

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 8

Munchkin

Currently on this desk are;
Laptop
Laptop bag
Laptop lock bag
Big folder of useful paper
Big box of useful books
Suit Bag for suit now being ruined at cleaners
:-0
Extremely complex phone
Identifing coffee stain

This is officially a hot desk and as such, everything above the smiley goes home with me. Thankfully I have a housemate with a car.
The coffee stain was added in an attempt to keep the desk as it is near the cafeteria. Oddly enough, we can leave nothing behind, but if a security bloke does not recognise you you will be severely grilled as to why you picked this desk out of the whole office.

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 9

Is mise Duncan

Do you have to log in to the extremely complex phone - or, how does it know which desk you're at and divert your calls accordingly?

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 10

Munchkin

Yep. It is dreadfully cunning. Almost as cunning is the fact that the voicemail software was not designed for the phones, hence most of the buttons don't do what they claimsmiley - smiley

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 11

Cannon Fodder

Life just gets better - I now have no desk (late in).

All I have is a laptop - on my lap. Stupid idea. I should be greatful that I have a network point to access H2G2.

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 12

Scarlett

Well we have to hot desk but I do have my very own 1'*1'*1.5' locker to store all my stuff in. But since I work nights I more or less get to pick my desk. Mind you I do have to go a skulk over in a drafty corner until about 10pm, at that point most of the other staff have gone (Down the pub) and I get to sit all night at the same desk oh joy.

Scarlett

p.s. I've just been transferred to a project in the company but they seem to have constructed something akin to the berlin wall over one corner of the office and put us all behind it, this could really redefine the term 'hot desk' especially if we annoy the boss!smiley - smileysmiley - bigeyessmiley - smiley

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 13

Cannon Fodder

Scarlett - good luck. If it all goes wrong - I hope to see your article on Nuke Desking.

CF

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 14

Barney's Bucksaws

Hot Desking - good name! I have what is supposed to be my own desk, in my own office, but its like Grand Central Station a lot of the time - hard to accomplish anything useful!
On my desk - L-shaped:
printer
calendar
phone
really ugly pen holder
computer& keyboard
mouse pad (plain blue) and mouse
file of useless paper, and on top of it file of my time sheets
day timer
sticky pads
calculator
file of useful paper
pile of papers I can't figure out what to do with

Because everyone makes free with my desk, sometimes I just go to the coffee machine, and come back whey the rush is over and I can sit down in peace & quite.Keeping pens is a problem. People just walk in and walk away with them. No wonder I get mean - I'm forever at the supply cupboard getting more pens!

No plants, but I do have a window overlooking 2 trees, a picnic table and garbage can, and the parking lot

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 15

Wand'rin star

Invest in some cactus and put it next to the pot you keep your pens in - or a ficus benjaminus which will look pretty but a lot of people are allergic to its mild poison.

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 16

Barney's Bucksaws

REALLY!! Maybe that will keep the Office B**** away. Thanks!

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 17

Researcher 146774

I SORRY BUT I NEED KNOW IF ENY OF YOU SPEAK SPANISH
IF YOU CAN TALL ME PEASE
BECAUSE I FILL LIKE A FULL IN MY DESCK AND I TRY TO DONT THIN IN THAT
GRACIAS
SOLO NECESITO SABER SI USTEDES ME PUEDEN DAR UN CONSEJO DE COMO SALIR ADELANTE EN ESTO DEL TRABAJO DE ESCRITORIO LO REALIZO EN HORARIOS DEMACIADOS PESADOS Y SOLO QUIERO SABER SI ALGUNO DE USTEDES ME PUEDE ORIENTAR COMO SACARLO ADELANTE EL INGLES TENGO 15 AÑOS QUE NO LO PRACTICO POR ESO NO LO PUEDO ESCRIBIR PERO LEERLO SI .
GRACIAS DE TODO CORAZON.

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 18

Barney's Bucksaws

Hello. I, unfortunately don't speak Spanish. May I suggest you drop in at the Aroma Cafe and ask there? You might also type in "Spanish" in Search the Guide. Hope this helps.

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 19

Tarast

I have (on my l shaped desk)

a calender/blotter
a pile of papers
inbox/outbox
more papers
bottle of water (unopened)
coffee mug
pen holder
paper back book
another mug
stapler
another pen holder
monitor and monitor stand
water cup
calculator
big phone (43 buttons)
NZ All blacks flag
more paper
sticky note pad
radio
fan
more papers smiley - smiley

Ah, so there is a point!

Post 20

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

I'm sure it would look a lot better without the All Black flag smiley - tongueout

Key: Complain about this post