A Conversation for Bar Staff

Rewards for the Bar Staff

Post 1

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Here in North America, we don't tend to buy drinks for our bar staff, as they would quickly get too drunk to function. We tip them instead.

The common rule for tipping is 15% of the cost of the order before tax. However, in my own experiments, I find I get much better service from bar staff whom I tip 20% after tax.

Post 2

The Aardvark

I really must move to America!!! I've actually found that some people are kind enough to tip you if you leave them waiting long enough!?! I had a customer one night who was insisting that I served her next, so I left her and served about three other people before returning to her. For this rather unkind gesture, I was tipped several pounds!!! I wouldn't recommend trying this too often though.

Long live Bar Staff!!!

Post 3

VenRi

Yes, this entry is distinctly UK--especially the part about bar staff being underpaid. My hubby is a bartender and (with tips) working only two days (12 hours per week) beats what I make in my 40 hour work week! Anyone got info on how to become a bartender?

Post 4

Pastey

Yes, live outside of the UKsmiley - smiley

smiley - fish

Post 5

Mad Hatter

I take objection to the statement that buying drinks for bar staff would render them unfit for duty: is this not the least you can do to relieve us from the boredom of the job? It is far more fun watching others get drunk when you are getting drunk yourself than when you are as the proverbial judge. And anyway, I was under the impression that most staff take this job as a way of going to the pub when they would otherwise not be able to afford to, they can then keep up with the tavern gossip without having to part with any cash, indeed they like to believe that they GET PAID FOR GOING TO THE PUB! Surely all you people with real jobs can complete the illusion for us poor misguided souls by helping us to a state of inebriation so that we really feel that we belong...

Post 6

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

I don't mean to give offense; I'm sure you British Empire types know how to pace yourself so you can get through a night of free drinks without passing out on the floor. But here in the USA, when people start buying us free drinks, we tend to lose control.

Besides, a goodly fraction of our bar staff would rather have the money.

Post 7

Pastey

One place I was, the staff had to take the money as there was no drinking on duty. Except for us cellermensmiley - smiley We had to drinksmiley - smiley
smiley - fish

Post 8

Mad Hatter

I worked for a miserly boss once who said no drinking on duty, but no taking money, the drinks had to be saved up till the 10 minute break between "Time at the Bar Please" and cleaning up. Except even if you'd been bought 10 you were only allowed 1, and couldn't take home, say, 2 extra bottles for later.
Outrageous!

Post 9

BluesDog

In reading all the postings it looks like a lot more patrons than bar staff. Having worked in bars in the midwestern US for 15 years, I can honestly say occaisional drinks are alright but the cash is much preferred. No good bartender or cocktail waitress will drink to the point of intoxication. You have to be sober in case there is a disagreement over change,prices, or if there is a brawl. Plus drinks don't pay the bills.

Post 10

felinedrillingbehindsofa

I worked in bars for many years and may even return in the near future as I actually miss it. I was always grateful when an american customer (it was always the americans) left a cash tip, I don't really drink and would always rather have the money. So, thankyou to those considerate people. I have a small gripe to share - I wish people wouldn't put unwrapped chewing gum in ashtrays, is one of the most horrible things I can think of. Oh yeah, another gripe, why do customers (not even the really drunk ones) think that if you are friendly and smile as you serve them that you want to sleep with them? I never understood that.

Post 11

Kamorth

This seems to be getting tossed between the US and the UK, so I humbly offer another point of view. Here in NZ, it's illegal for us to drink behind the bar (especially if your name is the one on the "Duty Manager" board, cos that means you're responsible for everybody and everything that happens in the bar) but tourists get told that either tipping isn't customary, or worse, not appreciated! No it's not something we do here, because we're complete tightwads (I won't use the word I was going to use) and the government taxes us on everything so we kinda resent having to pay more again. It does happen though, if only when the service was exceptional (or the patron wants to take the bartender home. I know a couple that would go too if the tip was good enough). However, it IS appreciated! Big time! We're lucky to get a dollar more than minimum wage, and tips make a huge difference.

Might have to go try working in one of your countries for a while......smiley - winkeye

Post 12

lubie_lou

well i've been working in bars and nightclubs for the past 3 years all at minimum wage. i don't do it because it saves money than going to the pub, trust me i do it because its so fun and a real challenge. i'm also doing it because i want a career out of it. Its not all students who do it they're to busy drinkin themselves. Tips are such a bonus, if someone says "buy yourself a drink" i take a couple of pound out their change and it soon adds up a night i could get and extra £10-20 a night, last new years i made almost £80. Personally you should only tip if they are doing a good and being polite. a bar tender will appreciate the tip or gesture if they can't accept it and when you go to the bar the next time you will be the first person they serve even if the queue is massive. Some people thing we're stupid but the things we have to remember and do remember. if you go to a club and a barperson serves you, you go to the same person again they usually remember what you drank even a big round if you say same again they would bring you the same again. think how many people they have served that night and how much they remember. next time you go to the bar buy them a drink for your sake and theres.

Key: Complain about this post