A Conversation for The Chuckle Brothers

Chuckle Bros.

Post 1

BuskingBob

I had not realized how talented the Chuckle Brothers were until I saw them live in pantomime a couple of years back. One of the routines that they did was a slow motion acrobatic/balancing act. Obviously they were using wires and harness, but the timing of their movements was so spot-on that the whole thing looked really miraculous. And, of course, lots of scope for "To me - To you"

Chuckle Bros.

Post 2

Jamo

I had the great pleasure of seeing the chuckles down at Rotherham Uniteds ground Millmoor, when they were filming the episode where they were footballers. The experience of the entire Tivoli end singing "from me to you...from you to me" as the brothers took on an entire defence was hilarious. It was made even more funny by the fact that they were pants at football and it took several takes before they could score.
Top boys.

Evil plan uncovered

Post 3

Munchkin

You are all obviously extremely evil. But have no fear world, I, the defender of the free world, shall end this tyranny of sub-standard slap stick and spiky hairdos. No more shall the Chuckle Bros. brand of inane idiocy trouble the children of this land.
As you may have guessed I don't like them very much. Mostly this is because I keep saying "To me.... To you" without thinking and then getting very annoyed when I realise.
Down with the Chuckle Bros. Long Live Basil Brush.

Chuckle Bros.

Post 4

Timor

I reckon the Chuckle Bros. were caretakers at my old school. They used to drive around the lawns in this old blue tractor. Or maybe it was just two blokes who looked like them. But, from what I remember, they were very similar to the ones on TV.

Chuckle Bros. utter shite

Post 5

Damon the Demon

Oh come on you guys have got to be kidding. I accidentally turned their show on at christmas and found the comedy so depressingly painful to watch I tried to kill myself within seconds of watching it. Luckily there were no sharp things around, only a satsuma orange and a bowl of assorted nuts , oh, and a box of Quality Street. I tried to stab myself with the satsuma but it just went mushy.

I weep for our future if our kids watch these talentless tossers. Didn't the BBC learn anything from Little and Large? Jeez.

Post 6

Demon Drawer

Obviously D the D you are missing the very point of slapstick comedy, you don't need a large vocab. But that another fine mess I'm not going to get into.

DD

PS Just had to post here after another Demon

Chuckle Bros. great!

Post 7

Well, speakin' as someone who was only 'ikkle when they were on TV (well, they're still on TV, in fact, but they were on when I was 'ikkle as well), I can firmly say that I enjoyed it.

*shrug* Say what you like, they've got a formula that works and they stick to it, there's nothing wrong with that, now, is there?

Who were Little and Large?

Chuckle Bros

Post 8

DickieP

Is it just me, or do the Chuckle Brothers remind anyone else of a couple of child molesters? I wouldn't allow them within two miles of a playground.

Chuckle Bros

Post 9

Hatman ACE

I remeber meeting the Chuckle Brothers at a Butlins Holiday camp, many years ago.
**Sheds a tear**, aaah, so many memories.
I was scared of them then as I am now. Dumb, unfunny freaks.
Great days.

Post 10

Cavebloke

No, Demon Drawer, YOU are missing the main point of slapstick comedy, which is that it has to be funny. How dare you bring up Stan and Olly in the same breath as that awful pair of cretins? In my opinion hanging, drawing and quartering is too good for them. Sorry to sound so aggressive, I feel very strongly about the matter. Now Mr Bean, there's real slapstick.

Chuckle Bros

Post 11

Wand'rin star

Are you lot really going to let Cavebloke get away with saying that Mr Bean is funny?

Chuckle Bros

Post 12

Queex Quimwrangler (Not Egon)

As grim as their programmes are, I would still rather have them on TV than yet another diabolical US import. High production values do not excuse total lack of humour.

Chuckle Bros

Post 13

Phobos

Ah, but the memories... by comparison to other kids' shows this pair are the only genuinely funny thing around. I have fond memories of their brief employment in a hotel (no slacking!) and of their attempts to get into the bell-making business, and the many bells they lost in transit.
Unfortunately I don't see them on TV anymore as I get home too late. I doubt they're still as funny.

Post 14

Demon Drawer

I was just bringing up the use of dialogue was secondary. I was not in any way shape or form endorsing the Chuckle Brothers as a prime example. L&H yes, Mr. Bean yes, Chukle Brother's an example of the most base sence. I think they saw the Monty Python sketch on the Art of Slapstick have haven't progressed much beyond that.

DD

Chuckle Bros

Post 15

Mrgrunt (With the Beard of Power!)

You must admit, the formula works. Albiet to an extent, recently when I came home early from college, there was a poor imitation on CITV, Zap I think it was called. But then you can only poor custard over somebodys head for an x amount of time before it becomes unfunny.
Run two chuckle brothers episodes side by side, the same scenarios will come up again and again. Especially ones involving ladders...

Chuckle Bros

Post 16

Demon Drawer

.... and custard pies.....

Chuckle Bros

Post 17

BuskingBob

If he considers Mr Bean to be funny, I think that is entirely up to him. We all have our problems.

Mr Bean

Post 18

Cavebloke

Now look, I feel I must clarify this. Mr Bean's earliest sketches are works of art. They were new and exciting, and everyone thought that after Blackadder, Rowan Atkinson would just do sitcoms. However, they have gone down-hill and should long since have been abandoned. The final nail in the coffin was an actual verbal joke. (Mr Bean has lost his watch stuffing a turkey, and while searching has inadvertently got his head stuck up its bottom. There follows a lot of walking around the room with said turkey on head, bumping into things, the climax of which is someone calling from the next room, "Have you got the turkey on?")

Chuckle Bros

Post 19

Queex Quimwrangler (Not Egon)

... And some grumpy guy shouting at them and waving a fist...

Mr Bean

Post 20

Wand'rin star

Thanx, that's what I meant, but I have been subjected to far too many of the later sketches on planes and airport express things (I went home for Christmas so I've recently seen the turkey too often) to be coherent on the subject. I suppose I'll be drummed out if I admit to a fondness for Benny Hill's Striptease skeleton routine?

Key: Complain about this post