A Conversation for Public Libraries

Not as boring as all that

Post 1

Conan the Librarian

The main entry is completely correct but missing a little something ...

Libraries are, in the way that Marks and Spencers used to be in the UK, one of the centres of urban life. They are one of the few places in the town where you do not actually have to buy anything to use the service. They are also, or should be, non-judgmental. All classes use libraries and all types of people. When the opening hours of a library change, the business of those shops near it also changes - want to increase the income of your shop at a particular time ? Donate money to the library next door to open more when you open.

Ever since Victorian times, libraries have been seen as a kind of working-mans University. Most college students can't get all their books from academic libraries or from bookshops and thats where public libraries come in.

They are also a major dating centre.

Oh yes. Walk into the Library and notice all the teenagers present hiding the fact that they're eyeing one another up.

And as for PCs. What with UK government money, you might very well soon not notice the books for the amount of computers in there shortly. Try 20 PCs for a small to medium size library. 60 for a large one. Wow.

And ... "Quiet Please". Nah, only kidding.

Not as boring as all that

Post 2

Titania (gone for lunch)

Excuse me for interrupting with this message for Conan the Librarian:

Could you please write something - anything on your 'My Space' by using the 'Edit page' button?

That will create a 'Discuss' button, that will make it able for people to contact you - and I know there are persons just waiting to welcome you to h2g2...smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Public Libraries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more