A Conversation for The Irving Washington BooK NooK

good books

Post 1

Salveruni

This past year I got really tuned into Charles Fort. I reccomend his "The Book of the Damned" HIGHLY. There are a couple of entries on 'Fortean' in the Guide for a quick reference. But basically the guy was tuning into 'the X-files' in, like 1917. Among other things, he coined the word 'teleportation'. Although his books concern anomalous events and odd behavior, he approaches the subjects w/ the irony of Swift and the rationality of Russell(Bertrand). Somebody back me up here. i just can't believe I'd never heard of him before.

As far as "fiction" goes, Italo Calvino can spin a tail or two in half the pages(or sometimes half a page!) it takes some others.. T-Zero, Cosmicomics. and anything else I've found.

let me know what you know(or think!)

good books

Post 2

?

Hmm, I'll have to look for Charles Fort, it sounds intrigueing. smiley - ok
I just finished the second novel by China Miéville, "Perdido Street Station", and I enjoyed it even more (that really is a LOT) than his first ("King Rat"). Very dark and weird, but a fascinating read which makes your imagination work on overtime (this counts for BOTH novels).
smiley - doctor

good books

Post 3

Kirsteen (less than original, but its the only name I have)

I saw China Miéville's book (Perdido Street Station) in WHS Smith, and I promised myself I'd buy it after my exams finished. It just had such an intriguing front cover, all sort of dark and moody. Will it be worth waiting for? Or is it King Rat better as a start?

good books

Post 4

Reverend Moss (R#126823)

i really enjoyed King Rat, but i think Clavell's other books were much more fun. Shogun is a classic. Shegata ga nai, neh?

i read the hell outta some fiction and i really enjoy all of Carl Hiaasen. maybe it comes from living in Florida in these States which are United but Tourist Season cracked me up. If i could run 'em all out i would. i'll also read anything i can get ahold of by Frank Herbert, Edward Abbey, or Anne Rice.

Not really 'the classics', but hey at least i'm reading!

good books

Post 5

?

I believe the good reverend is mistaken!
We were not talking about Clavell's "King Rat", but about China Miéville's... smiley - smiley

Kirsteen, there's no point in deciding which one to read first, because they're completely different.
Maybe it's helpful to know that "King Rat" takes place today (or just about) in a very real London (with loads of drum'n'bass references for the music-fans), in which fantastic elements invade, while "Perdido Street Station" takes place in a completely fictitious world where realistic people (human and others) try to get by.

Once you've read both, you'll notice the strikingly similar openings, though. (Or was that my imagination?) Please let me know if others noticed this similarity...

good books

Post 6

Reverend Moss (R#126823)

oops, my bad. You mean ther's more than one book out there with the same title ? smiley - smiley

good books

Post 7

Lizzy

Hi there, everyone. I'll just get me'sen a smiley - tea. A good book I've read recently: "Pants on Fire" by Maggie Alderson, "Times" (UK) colomist. This eccentricly titled piece of fiction follows journalist Georgia as she starts a new life in Australia after walking out on her fiance Rick, who she found in a very uncomprimising situation with another woman (u'l have 2 read the book 2 find out what that is! smiley - winkeye). With a new job on "Glow" women's magazine and in a new town, Georgia sets out to explore the finer points of Sydney lifestyle, including its men...! smiley - devil

*unwraps a smiley - choc and starts to nibble at one corner*

Anyone else read anything interesting lately? smiley - smiley
smiley - rose

good books

Post 8

Reverend Moss (R#126823)

I've really been enjoying Carl Hiaasen these days. Sick Puppy, Tourist Season, Skin Tight. But then, I live in Orlando, Florida.

good books

Post 9

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I don't think you have to be a Floridian (is that the correct term?) to enjoy his books, although I have overdosed on them recently and can no longer tell them apart.

You might enjoy Christopher Brookmyre if you like Carl Haaisen - although maybe not - his books have a very scottish flavour and refer to world events in a uk-centric manner. This aside they are fine stories with enough black humour to make me chuckle out loud on the train on the way to work in the mornings, earning me the 'carriage looney' title several times.

Has anyone seen the new Terry Pratchett yet, is it any good?

good books

Post 10

fyrelizard (muse of roses and raspberry mocha, keeper of pyrotechnics etc)

The TRuth or the last hero? The truth is worth reading, not as good as some but not bad either. Haven't read the other one, any information gratefullly received!

PS try out Jasper Fforde if you are a Pratchett fan!

good books

Post 11

Reverend Moss (R#126823)

Yes, the term is correct and yes, I think I may have been reading a little too much of him lately, so your recommendation is greatly appreciated. I will look up Brookemyre. I feel like I know his style so well I could write a Carl hiaasen novel now. That's not good.

good books

Post 12

Courtesy38

Greetings all - Just reviving the BooK NooK. The newest thread is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/F29359?thread=190127 Courtesy

good books

Post 13

Arrrrgh! Goo! Don't *do* that to me!

Or you could pop along to the H2G2 Bookworms Club at A745544smiley - winkeye

good books

Post 14

Courtesy38

*curiously looks at Kelli*

Do what to you?

Courtesy

good books

Post 15

You left the skin in the link so that when I clicked on it, everything went horribly blue and gooey... This: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/F29359?thread=190127 would be better as this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/F29359?thread=190127 and even better as this: F29359?thread=190127 k

good books

Post 16

Courtesy38

Ahhhhhh

Sorry for the mistake, it's been a while since I've been around hootoo and I've not really worked with this whole skin thing that much.

Apologies,
Courtesy

good books

Post 17

smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post