A Conversation for Swearing

Swearing as artistic expression

Post 1

Perfect Prefect

From being anathemitized to becoming everyday parlance: swearing has come a long way since expressions like "God's blood" or "Blind me" et al were considered contentious. For the ghetto, bad-boy culture of the American inner cities, for example, profanity forms a fundametal building block of self-expression: no self-respecting home boy would miss the chance, for example, to drop "mo'fo" into a given sentence.

Accepted on the street, accepted in the boardroom (my managing director recently referred to a competitor's ad campaign as a "f**king load of old toss" in front of 2 senior clients and most of the board: he got a brief round of applause) and increasingly, it would seem, acceptable in front of young children. This researcher has witnessed young mothers berating toddlers in the street in language that would make a sailor blush.

Further to that, popular culture has embraced the humourous potential of the swear-word. Who can forget the South Park classic ditty, "Shut your f**king face uncle-f**ker", or Viz magazine's one-off gem "Mickey and his Monkey Sp*nk Moped". In fact, Viz magazine... full stop.

Post 2

Synthetic Jesso (I'm not real)

"sp*nk"?

What's the '*'? I've never heard any word with any vowel in there that's considered naughty, at least here in Texas...

But then, I didn't know that "sp*stic" was an insult, either, until I used it to describe a high-tempo song in an entry, so I guess I've got a lot to learn, eh?

Post 3

me01273

the * is a "u" usuualy referring to male ejaculation

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more