A Conversation for The Don't Panic Help Centre

Internet

Post 1

Smudger879n

I have a dial up connection (not this new fast one they are all trying to sell us)Why is it that even if I leave the screen motionless for 2mins. I get my connection "cut off" It is really annoying! Also why is it like just now at 5.30PM when I try another favourite site of mine, All I get is "page can not be displayed" If I switch my MSN "status" to "AWAY" I still get cit off. Any Ideassmiley - wahSmudger.

Internet

Post 2

Pastey

Some dial up ISPs have an inactive setting, where if there is no activity on your connection, they close it so the bandwidth is freed to be used by someone else, but this setting is usually around the twenty minute mark, rather than two minutes.

Most dial up ISPs cut you off after two hours anyway.

The two minute one is most likely to be your dial up settings on your computer rather than the ISP. Which ISP are you using, and how are you dialing into them? Is it a piece of software of theirs you had to install, or did they give you a username and password to use?
Also, what operating system are you using? And we'll try and sort out how to get around the cut off smiley - smiley

smiley - rose

Internet

Post 3

Smudger879n

Hi There, I am on "Blueyonder" through my cable phone line. I was given a cd type disc to load in my computer. I have been told I could fix it if I change my internet settings, but I dont know how to display them?
I have never been cut off yet after 2 hrs, this problem only started last week? I cant afford to upgrade to Broadband, I find the one I have is OK, well until this started.smiley - cheersSmudger.

Internet

Post 4

Pastey

If you don't need broadband, there's no point paying extra for it smiley - smiley

What operating system are you using? I'm guessing it's a PC, so it'll be one of the Windows family?

smiley - rose

Internet

Post 5

Smudger879n

Hi Im Just back from my day out, yes Im on Windows ME edition and my E-Mail is through MSN (hot mail.com)I tried to find the internet settings but they are different to what I was told to expect?smiley - cheersfor your help.smiley - cheersSmudger.

Internet

Post 6

Tango

You say you use Hotmail for email, what ISP do you use? Or did you say and i missed it...

Tango

Internet

Post 7

Tango

Ah, you did say. Blueyonder. Sorry. I don't know much about them, but i'll look into it.

Tango

Internet

Post 8

Smudger879n

Hi Tango, Its Smudger again, I have noticed over the past few days that after trying to sign in automatically, my MSN messenger has now to be bo logged on manually. This used to be part of the logging on the computer did itself, then it would load MSN today then MSN home page?
its smiley - weirdsmiley - cheersSmudger.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more