A Conversation for Handy Latin Phrases

english-latin translation and latin-english translation

Post 1

pozbglm

translate to latin

"Those who read this are bound by death and death is bound for those who read this."

This is my family coat of arms motto and using a latin dictionary it makes no sense so i'll let you take a crack at it, its

"sola virtus invecta"

Post 2

Banjo Golly

Qui haec legunt a morte obstringuntur, et mors tendit in eos qui haec legunt.

The symmetry due to the two distinct meanings of "bound" gets lost in translation.

Post 3

Banjo Golly

"sola virtus invecta" is literally "courage/virtue alone has been carried in", which makes no sense. This probably ought to be:

"Sola virtus invicta": "courage/virtue alone is invincible"

Post 4

pozbglm

i double checked its sola virtus invecta and its a family heirloom so I doubt it's wrong but thanks anyway

Post 5

Banjo Golly

I'd be willing to bet that it is wrong. Google for "sola virtus invicta" and you'll see it's a common saying. "Sola virtus invecta" is gibberish. Somebody in your family made a mistake. People in the past did sometimes make mistakes, you know.

Post 6

JReid

The motto should be 'sola virtus invicta', which is commoly found in heraldry: "only virtue is invincible". It is said that the Hanson family of Osmondthorpe misspelt 'invicta' as 'invecta'; I take it to be a misspelling, otherwise it means "only virtue has been dragged in...'
For future translation queries into or out of Latin, I suggest using a professional site like Classical Turns (www.classicalturns.com).

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more