A Conversation for Horse Riding - a Beginner's Guide

"American Indian"?

Post 1

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Isn't this term a tad offensive these days? smiley - erm

"American Indian"?

Post 2

BluesSlider

Erm...am I so old and unfashionable that I remember when that *was* the PC phrase?

"American Indian"?

Post 3

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Just like the word "Eskimo" used to be PC....

If my memory serves me right though, they were only ever called 'Indians' because Columbus thought he was in the West Indies and as I understand it they like to be called Native Americans or indigenous. *shrug*

"American Indian"?

Post 4

FordsTowel

I'm sorry it has been awhile since I'd checked for messages regarding this entry.

The term 'Native American' may be both more accurate and more acceptable. My aim, however, was to communicate to as wide an audience as possible; so, I used what I presume to be the most widely understood term.

It seems to me that 'native American' is a term that could be applied to anyone born there. As far as the Columbus era mistake is concerned, our vocabulary is full of b*st*rdized versions of words from other languages and mistakes of translation.

At one level - when one does not have a word for something one has come across in one's native tongue - it makes sense to invent a label that can be attached. As the explorers could not yet communicate with the strange seeming people they approached, it was natural for them to choose a term to apply.

It is often mere common usage that makes it part of the language.

smiley - towel

PS: My favorite riddle:
What is the difference between an entymologist and an etymologist?

"American Indian"?

Post 5

Clevermoniker

I was born & raised in the American Southwest where there are STILL many "American Indian" (Native Americans, indigenous, etc) people. They're not JUST a construct of Hollywood, and they even ride horses! (A good movie "modern Native" movie is Smoke Signals.) Yes, "Native American" is a bit ambiguous. And no, "American Indian" isn't offensive (at least with the ones I know). Usually, though, if you know the tribe they are from, it's much more... respectful to refer to the tribe name instead of a general lumping of some other term. (A FEW of the tribe names in American Southwest: Navajo, Hopi, Apache, Havasupai... And then, there's the names that each tribe has for itself; e.g.: Navajos call themselves Dineh or Diné. AND THEN...inside each tribe there are clan families--Bear, Turtle, etc-- that are much more important within the culture than what the general term for them is.) I've found that listening closely when first meeting someone will often give a clue on how they refer to themselves. Overall, though, many people out here don't bring up tribe names unless they are important to whatever is going on.

smiley - smiley
Clevermoniker

"American Indian"?

Post 6

FordsTowel

Hi there, Clever!

Thanks for the cultural update. It's much appreciated.smiley - ok

I'm also very happy to know that I am unlikely to find I've offended anyone. smiley - biggrin

smiley - towel

"American Indian"?

Post 7

Clevermoniker

FordsTowel: No problem! The other thing I've "discovered" is that those who are going to be offended...well, it won't matter *WHAT* you do as they'll get offended ANYWAY!!! smiley - smiley (and with that thought in mind, I've learned to not be one of those who are offended at everything! People will be people. I'm not going to change anyone's mind by being a jerk!!)
smiley - biggrin

"American Indian"?

Post 8

Clevermoniker

I said: "I've found that listening closely when first meeting someone will often give a clue on how they refer to themselves. Overall, though, many people out here don't bring up tribe names unless they are important to whatever is going on."

And I should add: Most of the American Indians I know will readily tell you what tribe they are with if you ask, too! smiley - smiley

"American Indian"?

Post 9

FordsTowel

smiley - ok

smiley - towel

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more