A Conversation for A Wiccan Forum

Hey where is everyone?

Post 1

Tempest

I'm fairly new to h2g2 and I just found the Wiccan forum. I'm a little saddened to see that no one has been writing anything for some time now. I was hoping to find some really good discussions on the subject here. Well if anyone finds this and wants to start talking go ahead.

Hey where is everyone?

Post 2

ZenMondo

Wish I could tell ya, but this is my first post to this forum as well. I was hoping to get the Wiccan crowd to give my entry "A Practical Defintion of Pagan" http://www.h2g2.com/A347708 a once over for Comments & Crticism. Place looks pretty dead right now though. smiley - sadface Oh well....

Hey where is everyone?

Post 3

Tempest

Yes, very dead and that's sad. But I'll check out your entry if you like.

Hey where is everyone?

Post 4

ZenMondo

That would be totally groovy. Ah well, I am sure that the forum will gain steam again. These things go in cycles.... Lughnasa is coming up soon, maybe that will generate some interest.

Hey where is everyone?

Post 5

Tempest

Well I read your entry and some of the comments about it and I get the impression that it has been revised a few times. I think you're on the right track and when you submit it the editors will give it just the right adjustments to make it a great entry. Anyway I enjoyed it. I sure hope people start talking in the Wiccan forum soon too and maybe your right about the upcoming holiday.

Hey where is everyone?

Post 6

Jo (Dead)

Lughnasa? That's strange. I've always seen it referred to as Lughnasadh. Or was that a typo? smiley - bigeyes

Yes, Lughnasadh (I shall refer to it as this) approachs! smiley - tongueout Unfortunately, I shall be away from home next week and shall have to form a simplified rite.

But, and this is going to sound strange because you've never spoken to me and I've never spoken to you, I believe The Goddess and God made it come about that I would be away on Lughnasadh so that I needn't perform a complex rite, me not having the tools at hand. And that helps me because I am still struggling to cope with the dedication I must show so early in my teaching. Being a Solitary Wiccan, not part of a coven or a Tradition, I have to write my own prayers and rituals. They made it so that I needn't rush to write a ritual script for the approaching Sabbat. They gave me time and I am thankful for that. smiley - smiley

There, I sound silly, don't I? smiley - smiley

I've just found this place and I think it's wonderful. I didn't know there were so many Wiccans on h2g2! It is such a shame that it seems to be dead or at least dying. I am trying to revive interest by posting in every forum I can... smiley - winkeye

I'll visit your site, Zen! (Can I call you that?)

BTW: You can call me Jo. I don't like to be called Jinx. It makes me feel like a hypocrite hiding behind a computer screen...

There, have I ranted? I must be excited.. smiley - winkeye

Hey where is everyone?

Post 7

Tempest

I've seen so many different spellings for Sabbats I'm not bothered by it anymore. It seems that people are likely to use what they see or hear first. You didn't sound silly at all, I know what it's like to be solitary and unable to perform complex rites as I would like sometimes. And on the dedication issue...man have I had a hard time. For the 5 years that I have studied the Craft, many times holidays have flown right by me and I didn't even know until afterwards. Plus in the beginning my mother was totally against it all and thought I was joining a cult so it was hard for me to do much in the house. Now that I live on my own I'm taking steps and just do what I can. I may just have a special meal and say a prayer but I at least make sure to acknowledge holidays when they happen. But I still feel bad sometimes because I'm not as active a Wiccan as I'd like to be.

Hey where is everyone?

Post 8

billypilgrim

My understanding is that the Ancient Religion is as much about an attitude towards life as about praciticing certain rituals on certain days.

Rituals are a means to an end, not an end in themselves.

Hey where is everyone?

Post 9

Tempest

You're right, of course. I was just throwing in my experience with the topic at hand, Sabbats. My everyday actions are just as much a part of my faith as rituals.

Hey where is everyone?

Post 10

Jo (Dead)

I'm studying very hard at the moment. Maybe I should go easy on myself, but I enjoy it and it makes 5 weeks pass quicker. smiley - sadface

My parents aren't too bothered. They'd have spoken to me by now if they were. Neither of them are religious and I was never christened. My Dad teases sometimes and I wish he wouldn't, but I think he's only jealous because he doesn't have any religion. Atheism is a very immature way out.

Hooray! I have some coloured candles for my altar! smiley - tongueout

Now all I need is some candle *holders*... smiley - winkeye

Hey where is everyone?

Post 11

ZenMondo

I used to care a great deal about the spelling and pronounciation of the four fire festivals (Samhain, Lughnasa, Imbolc, & Beltaine) but I just don't sweat it any more. I've come to realize that the modern Wiccan holidays of the same name are NOT the fire festivals of the Celtic culture which I celebrate. And that's OK. I don't see it anymore as an usurping of my ancestral culture. Its usefull for Wiccans to do ritual on these days, so go to it! My beliefs are that those dates are damn good days to do anything of a magical purpose being in a liminal time.

The last thing any Pagan needs is to get all dogmatic about stuff.

Hey where is everyone?

Post 12

Jo (Dead)

*nods*

Dogmatism has done too much harm already...

Hey where is everyone?

Post 13

Contemplation (Zaphodista in a Cloak of Goo)

Wow... some new faces around here. Looks as though the threads are still limping along... and they do look interesting. I've got some reading to catch up on : )

I can agree with keeping beleifs free form. One of the greatest aspects of Wicca and its kin is the 'comfort factor.' You do what you feel is right for you, when it is right for you.

Sort of like these forums. Talk when you feel it is right, or don't. Just as long as you are comfortable...

Just thought I would toss in my two coppers worth. Off to check out some of the other threads...

Contemplation

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more