A Conversation for Buddha

Buddism

Post 21

Gwennie

How sad that all this happened. It must have been stressful for everyone concerned. One of my greatest concerns regarding Christoper is what will happen to him when John and I are no longer around to care for him. He appears outwardly "normal" but has behavioural problems due to his autism some of which are considered socially unacceptable which we (and his school) try to help him understand.

Buddism

Post 22

Chalaza Researcher 16977

That is a scary thought of what would happen to the family if we weren't there to look after their needs...Because deep down I worry that whoever gets the job won't have the insights or patience required to understand and act in the childs best interest. For instance I couldn't let my mother, as much as I love and admire her, to have the responsibilty of caring fulltime for my girls. She has issues and old hang-ups such as spanking is O.K. and other techniques that I consider demeaning to a childs self-esteem. All that being said, I have this belief system that the Universe will provide what is needed, and that may include my children having Charles Dickens like childhood...I can only pray it would give them the tools to survive and become stronger for it!

Buddism

Post 23

Gwennie

Lets just hope it doesn't come to that, hey? I hate Charles Dickens stuff - it really is dark and depressing!

Buddism

Post 24

Chalaza Researcher 16977

That was a worst case scenario wasn't it!!

Buddism

Post 25

Gwennie

Yes, probably. My parents are really Victorian, rigid and domineering and the thought of them getting their hands on my children, scares me! It is bad enough when we visit them for a few weeks every summer (they live about 400 miles away, thankfully) to watch them trying to impose their will on Mair and Christopher. Fortunately, Mair is so independent that she can look after herself which causes friction and comments like "Your children are ill mannered and out of control!" It is a wonder that I ever broke free of their imposing upbringing and they often comment that they don't know where they went wrong with me and where I get my funny ideas from. (These being an atheist, vegan, left-wing politally, into human and animal rights and caring for the environment, all the antipode of their beliefs.)

Buddism

Post 26

Chalaza Researcher 16977

YEAH!! Free at last! Way to go Gwennie! It's really interesting that we some how, rise above the emotional torment of control freaks and learn to understand our own children need to express their emotions without reprisal, and how those people like our parents see it as a personal affront....hahaha. Each generation seems to get closer to the meaning of everyday living by standing farther back from the 'Big Picture'. Let's pat ourselves on the back Gwennie and be proud of our 'Black Sheep' status! We earned it by choosing-we all have choices, even the choice not to choose..is a choice. We are empowered.

Buddism

Post 27

Gwennie

Thanks for the pat on the back! (I need one from time to time like most people!) I've actually recently (at 42) become comfortable with myself (PMT excluded) and have decided that there's "nowt" wrong with me, it is in fact everyone else!!! The trouble is my parents don't see it that way and as I still do love them and appreciate the hard work they did to provide material wealth for my upbringing, I would love to have them accept me for who I am without constant friction. Still, as my husband says, it is their loss....

Buddism

Post 28

Chalaza Researcher 16977

Soo true...it is everyone elses loss. Just as long as we Love ourselves for who we are, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I going to take a nice long hot bubbly bath on that note!

Buddism

Post 29

Gwennie

Have fun, don't stay in too long and get all wrinkly!

Buddism

Post 30

Chalaza Researcher 16977

I'm wrinkly anyways... so tell me Gwennie, whats your favourite reading material to date? I'm a having a little fling with Robertson Davies right now...I just can't get enough of him!

Buddism

Post 31

Gwennie

I tend to shower as I fall asleep in the bath, given the chance!

My book reading has suffered greatly since last July when we got this wonderful toy (for the children's school work of course) and I've been spending too much time on line. However, I have these two library books out that I have now renewed three times as I still haven't finished the first one (by H.W. Jeter "Blade Runner 2, The Edge of Human" and "Blade Runner 3, Replicant Night"). Usually, I tend to read science fiction/fantasy (the usual stuff - Terry Pratchett/Douglas Adams/Tolkien plus lots of others and "Star Trek" novels). There, my secret is out - I like "Star Trek"! It's those hunky Klingons.....I can't help it! I also love anything by Ben Elton. I don't know if you've heard of him. He's a stand up comedian, author and wrote scripts for "Black Adder" (the t.v. comedy series).

Buddism

Post 32

Chalaza Researcher 16977

I love Black Adder stuff! Anything fun is such a great relief from the banal...I don't seem to have a huge appetite for SF...I think I'm a picky eater! The Klingon persona is reminiscent of an 'old boyfriend' I once had... Head strong, ready to defend an honour, but pussycats underneath all that! Of course, that's opinion, I could be wrong!

Buddism

Post 33

Gwennie

Maybe I just like chaps with Cornish pasties on their foreheads!

I listen to quite a few audio cassettes (usually comedy) while I'm doing boring chores if there's nothing interesting on the radio
Ben Elton also wrote a comedy series called "The Thin Blue Line". Have you seen this? I'm not sure if you live in the U.K. so you may not have heard of it. His books are excellent and I highly recommend them.

Buddism

Post 34

Hendrixw

tee-hee that's the funniest thing I've read all year. I didn't stop laughing for five minutes.

Key: Complain about this post