A Conversation for How to play the Bass Guitar

Cool, I'll pss this on to my cousin

Post 1

Original Jackrabbit (OJR)

Hey, that is a pretty cool entry, I hope that it gets approved. I have a question and two minor corrections however.
The question is - Is a replica Fender Bassmaster any good, if not, can you reccomend a better choice?
The corrections are - Limp Bizkits bassist is Wes Borland. Tapping the string is also known as 'percussive playing' I believe. I just play lead, badly, so I may be wrong.

Cool, I'll pss this on to my cousin

Post 2

Andy

Well, thanks for your comments. I certainly appreciate it.

I beg to differ on the LB issue . . . Wes plays guitar and Sam, the bass. Unless, of course, they do some swapping in the studio, which they might, and I wouldn't know about it.

As for the percussive playing, it's really a matter of which terms you prefer to use. smiley - smiley

Anyway, as for a replica Fender Bassmaster, it's hard to say. It would depend on who made the replica, how well they did it, and what has happened to it since it was built.

If you're looking for a vintage-type instrument without paying vintage-type prices, might I suggest some of the early (80's) Fender Squier Bullet basses. Look for those made in USA and/or Japan. Pretty much all of the USA's and most of the Japan's are darn nice instruments that you can pick up pretty cheap ($200 or so). If you're willing to spend a little more, most of the new Fenders (again, USA and Japan) are great. Watch out for in particular for the Mexican and Chinese versions . . . they pretty much suck.

Of course, if you're willing to spend some serious scratch, there are all sorts of options (I myself like Fenders, Steinbergers, and Modulus). What it basically comes down to is finding something in your price range that YOU like, regardless of who made it where for how much. My favorite bass was made from spare parts in the back room of a music store. I paid $100 for it and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Does that help, or am I just rambling?

Thanks for the tips on playing bass!

Post 3

-HavoK-

Wow, thank's for the advice! I recently brought a bass a couple of days ago, and i'm starting to learn, I have already learnt a few riffs from the Hives, and I can read tabs! Yey! I just have like a begginers bass, but it's still quite good, and I never knew you could play it in so many different ways..such a good instrument.

I read your list of great bassists, and I was suprised to see John-Paul-Jones of Led Zeppelin was not on there!smiley - sadface What's going on! He is incredible! He has souuul boy! Hehe!

Thanks for all the tips! They are of great help!
Love, Peace, and Harmony.
Tom smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more