A Conversation for Mexico City, Mexico

Aztec Pyramids

Post 21

Fourmyle

I had a glass of home made rubarb wine a couple of days back that far outclassed alot of the commercial stuff the liquor board sells. Almost enough to get me back into giving it a shot myself, just have to track down my copy of Duncan Gillespie's "Light Hearted Winemaking" and have at it. As I recall the Tanunda had a somewhat chemical smell with overtones of pit sock , I don't remember if I actually swallowed any of it though.

Aztec Pyramids

Post 22

Dudemeister

My Scottish granny used to make excellent fruit and berry wines. She had a large stock in the basement always, so it would be aged for a few years before drinking. She made some gooseberry wine to celebrate the birth of her grandchildren, and was to be opened on the 21st birthday - My vintage '65 was very nice. Alot of the process of making them was simple in many cases you chuck a bunch of mashed fruit, water and sugar in a bucket, and let it ferment from naturally occurring yeasts.

Aztec Pyramids

Post 23

Fourmyle

Considering the long history of wine making , the process has to be pretty easy to do , now doing it well ; there is the art.

Aztec Pyramids

Post 24

Dudemeister

Pretty much the same with anything else. You could make "chunderbrau" or wine. You could argue it is pretty easy to be president of a company - just show up and tell a few people what to do - then doing it well would involve being a visionary and leader with a good ability to get things done and make your company valuable and investors rich.

Aztec Pyramids

Post 25

Dudemeister

Getting back on topic (?) you could build a Pyramid or pile of rubble.

Aztec Pyramids

Post 26

Fourmyle

The Aztec pyramids have alot in common with the rubble piles actually , they tend to be layers of newer larger pyramids overtop of older ones. Not like the single unit constructions in Egypt for instance. Limestone is pretty easy to shape to , but on the down side after 500 years of erosion alot of features are fading away.

Aztec Pyramids

Post 27

Dudemeister

A fine example of that is the temple in Mexico City. It is basically a cross section of the thing, and a sewer pipe drilled trought the middle of it!

Aztec Pyramids

Post 28

Fourmyle

Mexico City has a whole extra layer of problems to deal with ( sinking for one ). I found it interesting to see some of the old drainage ( and probably sewer ) system in Palenque still working. Basically just saw a rectangular opening , obviously fitted stonework , maybe 10 feet wide and 4 high , with a solid stream of water falling from it. This came out of part of the city thats still burried under jungle.

Aztec Pyramids

Post 29

yet another nickname

The best tequila brands are Hornitos and Jimador. Tequila is considered to be a wonderful remedy for colds.

Aztec Pyramids

Post 30

yet another nickname

The best tequila brands are Hornitos and Jimador. Tequila is considered to be a wonderful remedy for colds.

(I'm not making any money for publicity, it's just what folks in Mexico say)

Key: Complain about this post