A Conversation for Brussels, Belgium

Driving

Post 1

Ecki

I never been to Brussels, well that's I never actually went into the city, so I cannot give any comment about that. However, I tried to drive round/through it on the motorway a few times and that's an experience I'll never will forget !!!

Imagine a three lane motorway, and a sliproad comming on to it. The motorway is packed with cars, trying to get around the town. Well this in it self should not be a problem, however it seems to be fashionable in Brussels to cross as many lanes as you can at once, while trying to stop as many cars as possible. The result is the Belgian's most loved road condition, a huge and inseperable traffic jam.

Driving

Post 2

Pat La Mouche

Weird, isn't it?
Driving THROUGH Brussels (from east to west) is 11 km shorter, but you should only try it on Sundays or during the night. During the daytime (especially on workdays) it's even worse than driving around it, and any driver without experience will NOT get out of it unharmed (physically, materially or mentally).
Also, as a stranger to Brussles, you should NEVER try to find a shortcut. The lay-out of the city is NOT logical, and one-way--streets are unpredictable and sometimes inexplicably change direction overnight...
On the other hand, in the city itself it is fairly easy to get anywhere using public transport (metro, busses, trams).

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world, if only the weather were better, the taxes lower, etc, etc...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more