A Conversation for Footnotes

Where is your bibliography?!

Post 1

austin

I am looking for the bibliography. It doesn't seem present. Solid work. Without the bibliography though, I am afraid a "b" is the most I scrible with my cold dead hand.

Good work nonetheless.

Post 2

The Dancing Tree

All my own work I'm afraid[1]. The dictionary definition was mangled for copyright reasons[2]. Haddock.

[1] Not afraid as in scared, but the other kind.
[2] Even though it was from 1984.

Post 3

Zach Garland

I didn't know we were being graded on this! But then I never expect the Spanish Inquisition [1]. ''NObody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise! [2]''

1. Dramatic chord
2. 16 ton weight

Post 4

Campi

For a hilarious (ab)use of footnotes, have a look at "The 3rd Policeman" by Flann O'Brien [1]. And I do recommend this book not only for this reason.

[1] Irish novelist (1911- 66).

Post 5

Endoporpoise

And for an example of endnotes, see the book _But What of Earth_ [1], in which every single one of the over one hundred footnotes is at the end of the book. [2]

[1] By Piers Anthony [3]
[2] Of course, this is for the best, given that some of the footnotes are pages long.
[3] The newer edition, of course.

Post 6

Charlie the Zebra

Some years ago, I read a hilarious work called "A Garland of Ibids for Van Wyck Brooks[1]", by Frank Saltonstall Sullivan. It purported to be a review of Brooks' "The Flowering of New England", but turned into a hilarious diatribe on footnotes. I'd copy it, but I believe it's still under copyright[2].

[1] Or "A Garland of Ibids".
[2] In the US, life of the author plus 50 years; the Berne Convention sets different rules.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more