This is the Message Centre for Ormondroyd

Ormondroyd hits the half-century

Post 1

Ormondroyd

In just a couple of hours, I shall be 50 years old. I can hardly believe I'm typing that, and certainly I'm sure that many of those who knew me in my smiley - ale-addled youth and even more smiley - ale-addled thirties would be surprised to find that I've made it this far. But here I am, and I'm happy to report that I am in pretty good working order. My knees may creak a little these days, but I actually have more hair than I used to have: I've grown my first-ever beard for a forthcoming stage appearance as a smiley - pirate in a production of 'The Pirates of Penzance' (Theatre in the Mill, Bradford, March 25-27).

I was a student at the University of Bradford, doing another film studies course, in the latter part of last year, and I'm currently doing an IT qualification smiley - geek at Bradford College. As I'm running out of excuses for staying in academia as a student, I'm now trying to get into lecturing, and there seems to be a pretty good chance that they'll give me a shot at teaching a course on the history of popular music next year.

And life still sometimes brings unexpected adventures. Yesterday I visited one of Britain's most famous fictional pubs. I was working as an extra on 'Emmerdale', and played a bed and breakfast guest at the Woolpack. Some time around the end of April, viewers to the popular ITV soap will see me being shown a brochure of Yorkshire tourist attractions by one of the regular cast members, with whom I was asked to improvise a little dialogue to be heard at the start of the scene. Which was a little scary, but the director seemed very pleased with our efforts, so hopefully I'll be invited back to Emmerdale! smiley - biggrin

Ormondroyd hits the half-century with a cat-like tread!

Post 2

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

Happy Birthday chuck, good to see you around smiley - oj. I'm really glad to hear things are working out well with you, you deserve it smiley - hug

Post 3

Bagpuss

"I'm running out of excuses for staying in academia as a student,"

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. Happy birthday smiley - cheers and best of luck.

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I'm still considering going back into accademic things... this 'RL' isn't all it was cracked up to be smiley - doh

And hippy birthday smiley - magic (and I'd never have guessed you were nearing that age.....) smiley - zensmiley - bubblysmiley - ale

Post 5

Titania (gone for lunch)

Happy birthday!smiley - pggb

Post 6

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

50 is the new 40 smiley - winkeye

Happy birthday Ormy smiley - cheers

Post 7

Santragenius V

Happy birthday & many happy returns smiley - gift & smiley - bubbly

Post 8

Orcus

Happy birthday mate smiley - ok

I like the staying in academia thing too smiley - winkeye

Although these days I'm feeling that the private sector would almost certainly involve less work. smiley - sadface

As you turn the half century I shall be doing the big four oh later in the year. Wow.

Post 9

Ormondroyd

Thank you, everyone. Nice G&S reference, Granny - I'm playing Samuel, so "With Cat-Like Tread" is one of my big moments in the show! Orcus - smiley - ta for the encouragement. I was hoping that 50 was the new 30, but my knees would agree with 40! 2Legs - thank you. I am wearing quite well, but the beard will have to go once I've finished being a smiley - pirate because most of my hair is still dark, but there are white bristles on my chin. And yes, I know the word everyone uses for things like that, but I don't want to look "distinguished". That makes people expect absurd things from you, such as responsible adult behaviour! smiley - silly

Post 10

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Perish the thort! We can't have that, can we smiley - tongueout

Post 11

Bagpuss

http://xkcd.com/616/

Post 12

Metal Chicken

Happy (if slightly belated) birthday greetings Ormy smiley - cheers

Definitely lose the beard after the show, can't imagine you with one of those!

MC

Post 13

McKay The Disorganised

Its NOT grey ~ Its arctic blonde ! smiley - cross

smiley - cider

Key: Complain about this post