This is the Message Centre for Ormondroyd

Yes I can! Catch up on my sleep, that is...

Post 1

Ormondroyd

I'm tired and spotty and it's all Barack Obama's fault. Why'd he have to be so exciting and inspirational that I had to stay up all night smiley - fullmoon watching him make history? I started the night of November 4 watching the results start to come in at the University of Bradford, explaining the Electoral Coverage to students from a variety of countries and munching the free popcorn provided by the Students' Union to sustain us through the night, in the bar with a special extension until 4am. But I was struggling to hear the TV news over all the excited chatter, so I headed for home.

Then, of course, over the next few hours my smile became broader as I watched the BBC coverage. Pennsylvania... smiley - smiley Ohio... smiley - biggrin... and finally that magic moment just after 4am UK time when a swathe of declarations took Barack Obama past 270 Electoral Votes. smiley - somersault

It was a truly historic moment that I was overjoyed to witness. I was far too excited to sleep, and stayed up until around 6:30 to watch John McCain's gracious, constructive and dignified concession speech and President-elect Obama's inspirational oration in Chicago, which brought tears to my eyes.smiley - brave Yes, sometimes, despite everything, the good guys really win.

I'll muse on the possible consequences of all this at greater length later, probably in smiley - thepost. But for now I have a show to do with my choral society tonight, I still haven't caught up on my sleep smiley - sleepy
and I'll need my stage make-up because all the smiley - coffee and diet cola I drank to stay awake for Barack's big moment has brought me out in spots.

I dunno - these defining moments in smiley - earth history. They can be brilliant and unforgettable, like the other night, but they're also a health hazard. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Yes I can! Catch up on my sleep, that is...

More Conversations for Ormondroyd

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more