This is the Message Centre for Ormondroyd

Ormy's New Year Resolutions 2006

Post 1

Ormondroyd

Here are some of the dos and don'ts I hope to enact during 2006...

1) Keep in touch with my oldest friends - the three guys I've known since 1971. But don't try to match them smiley - ale for smiley - ale when we go out. This is a lesson I've learned painfully during this festive season. smiley - hangoversmiley - bigeyes

2) Get fitter again. Sometimes it takes a lot of willpower to get myself up to the gym, but I always feel much, much better for doing so. I have slacked just a little in the latter part of the year, and when I went for a strenuous afternoon clambering around Malhamdale the other week, I realised that I needed to try a bit harder. It was a great day out - but I didn't half ache the next day! smiley - erm

However, this leads neatly on to...

3) Get out to the Yorkshire Dales and the moors more often. There's a lot of stunning scenery a short train journey away from where I live, and it's time I saw more of it. It's time to get on Ilkley Moor again, with or without headgear.

4) Carry on succeeding as a student. The best thing that happened to me in 2005 was getting the chance to be a full-time University student for the first time in my life. My average mark is currently just over 70%, which means I'm on course for a First. This must be maintained - starting with the exam I have looming on January 17. smiley - yikes However, at the same time, I want to...

5) Learn to relax more and worry less. It's amazing how often I end up thinking 'God, was *that* what I was so worried about'? I should be taking the hint by now!

6) Do some more acting. Because I enjoy it, other people seem to enjoy watching me, and I'm getting better at it the more practice I get. And last but not least...

7) Get some smiley - love in my life. Dammit, I'm too good to go to waste! smiley - winkeye

There, that little lot should keep me entertained... smiley - biggrin

Post 2

tartaronne

Inspiring smiley - smiley

Happy New Year

smiley - hug

Post 3

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

That last one shouldn't be too hardsmiley - tongueout

smiley - winkeye

Post 4

Ormondroyd

Oooh, Annie! Was that an invitation? smiley - smooch

Post 5

smiley - kiss absolutely

smiley - cuddle

Post 6

Ormondroyd

Want to come back to my place? smiley - droolsmiley - winkeye There's an e-mail link at the bottom of my Personal Space... smiley - cuddle

Post 7

*grabs change of underwear and smiley - run*

Post 8

tartaronne

Modern times, eh. smiley - huh An e-mail link! What has become of "come back to my place and I'll show you some fine etchings". ?

smiley - biggrin

Post 9

Ormondroyd

I work in the Bradford University art gallery one day a week, and recently we had an exhibition there that actually included some etchings. I took great pleasure in telling friends to 'come up and see my etchings'. smiley - artistsmiley - biggrin

Post 10

Hypatia

In my day it was "Come back to my place and I'll show you my collection of Great Books (of the Western World). smiley - laugh

Ormy, when you find her I hope she likes football. smiley - winkeye

And do any of you actually keep your New Year's Resolutions? I'm dreadful about that bit.

Post 11

tartaronne

smiley - laugh

And smiley - goodluck with your intentions.

Maybe this year I'll practise some selfdiscipline w*rkwise and get started *before* deadline is looming over my head. Then I wouldn't have to sit till late last night and now and structure words in a coherent order. My deadline is tomorrow and I won't be able to reach it. smiley - erm

Gotta smiley - run

Post 12

tartaronne

*simul post smiley - erm*

Hi, Hypatia smiley - smiley - and Happy New Year.

I hardly ever make (loud) resolutions - but the ones I do make in my own mind, I keep.

For a couple of days. smiley - winkeye

Post 13

Hypatia

In all seriousness, I don't know why we make such a big deal out of Jan 1 being a time for a new start. Any day could be that. Calendars are handy tools, but life is one day following another, after all, regardless of what the calendar says. But, it seems like we're given a clean page at the new year. smiley - weird

My resolution - to learn how to live in the present. The past is gone and the future doesn't exist. All we have is today. So no more beating myself up with regret for things that happened or didn't happen. I can't change one second of it no matter how much I wish I could. And no more putting off doing things I want to do until some mysterious future date that may never arrive for me. I'm going to search out opportunities to do the things I want to do while I'm still young enough to enjoy them.

Post 14

Ormondroyd

smiley - applause Excellent idea, Hyp. I waste far too much time regretting the past and worrying about the future. Good luck with that resolution! smiley - ok

(Goes back to daydreaming of a romantic stroll on Cleethorpes Pier with Annie. smiley - loveblushsmiley - fish)

Post 15

Santragenius V

Happy New Year, Ormy smiley - crackersmiley - smiley I think you'll do fine on most of your resolutions & deserve the rest smiley - ok

I'm with you on that, Hyp! Like in -

"No cares and woes
Whatever comes later goes
That's how I'll take and I'll give
Devil may care"

Credits: Diana Krall, Devil May Care, Written by Bob Dorough

(I actually like the whole song - but I'd better stay on the fair side of the quoting rules...)

Etchings ... smiley - rofl Good one!

Post 16

riotact : like a phoenix from the ashes

happy new year ormy!

i'm with you on the first two.

as for my old friends, i'm lucky they're so far away for the reason you mentioned. we went out on the town once last year when i was in CA; got home at 4, had a word with shanks and went to bed. got up at the crack of dusk with a hangover that lasted 3 days. still hurts to think of it!

Post 17

smiley - loveblush

Post 18

Ormondroyd

smiley - bigeyes A three-day smiley - hangover? Now that takes some doing...

Annie, you're such a flirt! smiley - kiss

Post 19

riotact : like a phoenix from the ashes

out of practice. we had been great tequila aficionados, and they still were!

Post 20

Ormondroyd

That was my problem too, only with smiley - ale! My idea of a good night out has changed over the years from smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale to smiley - redwinesmiley - redwine . My friends hadn't changed at all, and I felt like I should follow their example for old times' sake. A big, big mistake! smiley - bigeyes

Key: Complain about this post