A Conversation for Jelly

You don't want to know...

Post 1

CrazyOne

...what's in this stuff. Hehe. Sorry, couldn't resist. I won't tell you, but someone else may wander by and say what it is if enough people get to wondering. smiley - winkeye

Incidentally, in addition to jelly being known in the US as Jell-O (a brand name which has essentially become generic even though it still exists, kind of like Hoover in the UK), jelly is the word here for another substance. I never liked it myself, but it's sweet, made of fruit or at least in fruit flavors and is a spread like jam (I think the word jam is universal, not sure, and I don't what exactly makes the distinction between one and the other, cos I don't eat the stuff). People spread it on toast or strangely enough (to me anyway) eat it on a sandwich with peanut butter.

Of Jam and Jelly

Post 2

That Funny Guy

First, JELL-O has indeed become a pretty generic way of referring to what non-Americans call jelly. Should you want to avoid any sort of copyright litigation, you should stick with the word gelatin. That works for the powder and the actual wiggly-jiggly stuff.
Second, though admittedly no expert on edible fruit pastes, I beleive the distinction between jam and jelly is that jam is thicker and is less likely to have actual bits of fruit in it. Jam is closer to a spread, while jelly is most easily classified as "goop." At the risk of sounding biased (literally: having two asses), I submit that jam is superior as a food product, because it's much easier to work with, and the flavor usually remains truer to the original fruit.
That's about all.

Almost forgot

Post 3

That Funny Guy

Never, NEVER put fuit in JELL-O. Ever. No good can come of it, trust me.

Almost forgot

Post 4

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

Does that include marshmallows?

Marshmallows

Post 5

That Funny Guy

Marshmallows should ALWAYS go in Jell-o. But never fruit. It's a smooth food, and people who put stuff like pineapple in there... I don't know.

Of Jam and Jelly

Post 6

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I thought jelly was jam with the pips taken out. You know how rasberry jam or blackberry jam has pis in it, yes? Well jelly has them taken out. I think. Yes. That's it, no?

smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post