A Conversation for Whoop-Whoop

Whoop-whoop

Post 1

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Does anybody know why the town got this name?

Whoop-whoop

Post 2

JJJHowqua

Just lucky I guess.

But you have to admit, it's better than Wagga Wagga or Scone.

Whoop-whoop

Post 3

Bran the Explorer

The name does "sound" Aboriginal - it has the repetition of words, like Wagga Wagga, etc, which is usually done to pluralise or make more emphatic. Don't know what the word "whoop" actually means, though ... sorry.

Whoop-whoop

Post 4

JJJHowqua

Whoop: a loud yell expressive of eagerness, exuberance, or jubilation -- often used interjectionally.

But thats English. smiley - winkeye

Whoop-whoop

Post 5

Maybe it means Watch out, here come [all] the tourists.
Lil

Whoop-whoop

Post 6

sassy gal

There was a place in what is now Alberta Canada..called Fort Whoop-up

gather that's what wnet on there..lots of drinking and carrying on by both the soldiers and natives..

perhaps back when it was named..whoever lived there...liked to party..have a whooping good time

Whoop-whoop

Post 7

an apple tree

or maybeeeee...it was all a bit of a mistake and 'whoop' was the rudest word permitted in the naming of ports at the time

Whoop-whoop

Post 8

wanda

waagga wagga got a mention tell me more get in touch cheers

Whoop-whoop

Post 9

As in "Looks like I can't go shoot up the down tonight, I've got this whooping cough"?
smiley - winkeye
Lil

Whoop-whoop

Post 10

an apple tree

exACTLY! you're a sharp one lil and it won't surprise me at all if i see you in ten years time working full time as the sherif's daughter. not in the least

Whoop-whoop

Post 11

I'll be surprised if I'm anybody's daughter in 10 years time.
Lil

Whoop-whoop

Post 12

an apple tree

O...aren't we the modest one

Whoop-whoop

Post 13

Pretty whooping modest.

I have just been to your home page and observed that you have bazillions of friends, and that you all talk a completely different kind of english than I do. No offense intended, nor sneer nor condescension. Just simple wonderment and maybe a bit of insecurity... Is it an age thing? Hellooooo, different one.

Lil

Whoop-whoop

Post 14

JJJHowqua

Are you talking about tree? No, don't worry, no one else can understand her either, some of the time. She enjoys making strange and ambiguoos comments that often have no bearing on the rest of the conversation. But then sometimes they do.

tree's just different, aren't you, tree? "special"? smiley - winkeye

tree's from latvia, you know.smiley - smiley

Whoop-whoop

Post 15

an apple tree

I'M different? moi?
please realize you are telling this to a talking, burning hot thing that flies through space...

Whoop-whoop

Post 16

Oh well that's all right then. A talking comet and a talking asteroid should eventually find something in common.

Lil

Whoop-whoop

Post 17

GNP Aaron

I was sure it was spelt woop woop as in Welcome to Woop Woop, that terrible film of 1997. Am I wrong?

Whoop-whoop

Post 18

Spartus

Nope, you're right. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120491

The filmmakers may have it wrong, though. smiley - winkeye

Whoop-whoop

Post 19

Adam C-R

I thought the film was pretty good - not particularly thought-provoking but darkly funny like Strictly Ballroom with more sex and inbreeding...

Whoop-whoop

Post 20

Belle

yes, sad to see us australians being generalised into a film like 'woop woop'. Sadder to know there are actually people like that out there.

Key: Complain about this post