A Conversation for Plastic Ono Band

And the Plastic Ono Elephant's something-or-other...

Post 1

what you know as km

What was the name of the band John and his... erm, wife... put together in the seventies? It was... similar... elephant's remembrance something, or perhaps, and this is entirely possible, I'm just completely wrong.

Still, I'd like to know, and as I can't remember, and as it's all your fault I'm trying, I figure you're the one to ask. smiley - winkeye

Post 2

Bruce

Well there was, on the Live in New York City album - Plastic Ono Band and Elephants Memory with Invisible Strings, Plastic Ono Elephants Memory & Plastic Ono Mothers (with FZ & the Mothers live at the Fillmore which was included in that album) band lineups - what does it all mean? Who knows? Drugs were pretty rife in the 70's.

;^)#

Post 3

what you know as km

Yes, that's it. Or at least it's probably it. It could be it, and it's as near as if it isn't. Thank you.

Post 4

Arthur Phillip

The band was called Elephants Memory. It wasn't John's band, but they played together at the concert for John Sinclair and some others.

Post 5

Ormondroyd

Elephant's Memory also played on the much-criticised album "Some Time In New York City".
Other bits of trivia: Yoko Ono also made a similarly harrowing album called "Plastic Ono Band", released simultaneously with John Lennon's. Like much of her music, it was ridiculed at the time of release but suddenly sounded bang up to date 10 years later.
And the single "Give Peace A Chance", actually performed by John, Yoko and a lot of people in a hotel room, was credited as being by "The Plastic Ono Band". smiley - fish

Post 6

Seagull's Lost Horizon

well I never, I quitr liked sometime in new york city

what was the yoko ono one like

Post 7

Waldo Jeffers

The Yoko Ono version of Plastic Ono Band was actually quite amazing. Most people who criticize her haven't really heard her music or can't stomach music that intense.

One song, "AOS" is a collaboration with Ornette Coleman and is really worth hearing. Most of the hatred against her in the 60s and 70s was extremely racist. The fact is, she was ahead of her time. Every so-called "modern rock" or "alternative" female singer owes her existance to Yoko's groundbreaking music.

All of Yoko's records have been released on CD on Rykodisc. You should also check out the recordings "Fly" and "Approximately Infinite Universe."

Post 8

Seagull's Lost Horizon

The only yoko ono stuff I've heard is the stuff from the john lennon which I haven't pyed that much attention to, how does it compare with the stuff your talking about?.
I think all the hatred was because she married john lennon and they didn't like it.
If or whenI get the chance I'll listen to some of it.

More On Yoko

Post 9

Waldo Jeffers

The Yoko stuff is superficially similar to the later Double Fantasy songs. It's the same voice. The first LP, Yoko's Plastic Ono Band is the most accessible and most "rocK" since it features John, Ringo and Klauss Voormann (on bass), the same line-up as on John's Plastic Ono Band LP. Musically it's also similar to "Live Peace in Toronto." It also features a live recording of Yoko in collaboration with Ornette Coleman and his band. It all depends on how avant-garde your tastes are. Check it out.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more