This is the Message Centre for Potholer

Hello

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

I sometimes look at the FP in barlesque and saw your name popping up there a while ago. It rang a distant bell, but I can't place you. It looks as if you're one of the 'low digits' who has returned, which is great. Anyway, I read the last few posts in that conversation, but won't butt in there, I've only recently blamed of causing topic drift, and SEx isn't a forum I usually follow anyway.

To be honest, I can't say the site has changed a lot since I joined (2003). People are just as welcoming or intolerant as they always were. I remember I once left the Limerick thread in disgust, because somebody complained very loudly about some of my 'rhymes'. Well, as a non-native speaker I thought they rhymed. I hated the arrogance some people showed (and still do) at assuming that everybody on here is either British (95%) or American. But that is only valid in conversations for a handful of people. It's a lot more striking where guide entries are concerned, though, so I really hope we'll be a lot more internationally focused after the move.

Anyway, I agree with what you say. I don't think people don't stay because somebody doesn't agree with them.

Hello

Post 2

Potholer

Thanks for your message.

I'm only here fairly occasionally these days, so I'm not sure what the situation is site-wide, but I don't see massive changes in the people in places I do visit.

I guess sometimes things change not due to people changing as such, but just as a result of evolution of h2g2 and the internet as a whole.

Long-running threads like 'British English' or its sequel can be so large that new people can't realistically read the whole thread, and so they may feel wary of joining, or else join and risk bringing up something that's been covered already.

Maybe question-asking areas like SEx and askh2g2 can't help but change in a world where wikipedia is mature and information can be pretty readily found via Google.
If 'questions' shift more towards subjective areas, I suppose there's a chance that things can get more heated,.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Potholer

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more