A Conversation for Caption Challenge: Misinformation, Please

What if I accidentally give the right answer?

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Suppose that I make a caption about a convention of women with white skirts, which this woman is going to? What if there actually *was* such a convention?

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Personally, I find the possibility that you would accidentally furnish the Post with real information to be remote in the extreme. smiley - laugh

Post 3

I hope you aren't also saying that deliberate furnishing of real information would be remote. I've provided plenty of information that wasn't later "corrected," so I must just be sensitive.

How much do we really know about reality? I think the phenomenologists had some good points to make. I use whatever information I think I have, and hope other people will correct me when I am wrong, or when other people need to learn from me.

Theodore Roosevelt said something about doing the wrong thing being better than doing nothing. I wait to be corrected on this.

Post 4

Not only did he not say it - at least, according to the W*k*quote researchers, who are usually pretty honest - but the man who did (a biographer of TR's) must have been an idiot. smiley - laugh I often disagree with Mr Roosevelt, but I doubt even he would have said that.

Quotes are the living end on the internet. Always distrust them. smiley - rofl

Aha, John Oliver still has his quote generator online. You might enjoy it. smiley - winkeye

http://www.definitelyrealquotes.com/

Post 5

It would be hard to get through life without being an idiot from time to time. I didn't produce the exact "quote" attributed to T.R. I figured that you would have fun with it, and you did.

One of the hazards of having been a reference librarian is that I have zillions of loose "facts" circulating in my head. Now that I'm ten years retired, any misinformation I may have unintentionally given out will hopefully have been forgotten, or not have done a lot of harm.

Every morning I get up and hope that any mistakes I make are either small, or provide me with something to learn from. It's not a heroic aim, but I keep to myself and only loose my factoids on people like you, who are strong enough to get some amusement from them. Sometimes I I find something that someone else can use. smiley - smiley

I'm too sensitive. I know it. I use the cognitive tools I learned form last Summer's sessions. I have a huge book to consult, but I find it depressing.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a train to catch. It's going to the Big Rock candy Mountain

Post 6

smiley - rofl I know that one. It's next to the Rock Island Line. (Or it was, in my six-year-old record collection.)

I had to look up that TR 'quote' - but those sites do that all the time. I know why: once, I interviewed online for a job with one of those 'dictionary' sites, and concluded that their morals were lax and their fact-checking nonexistent. smiley - winkeye They wanted speed with the copy-and-paste. That's how this stuff gets started.

Good thing we do better on h2g2! smiley - smiley

Anyway, what's this book you're talking about? smiley - bigeyes Sounds interesting.

Post 7

"Anxiety and phobia workbook"

http://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook-Edmund-Bourne/dp/1572248912

I have some fears about the book. I'm suggestible. Suppose I "catch" phobias just by reading about people who have them? smiley - winkeye

I need to write a story about heroes.

Post 8

smiley - ok Yeah, do that! (Write about heroes, I mean.)

And smiley - rofl I know what you mean. A lot of people shouldn't read medical advice books for exactly the same reason. There should be a word for catching things from reading about them.

On the other hand, I'm probably one of the few people who reads Oliver Sacks and exclaims, 'Oh, good! Now I know the name for that thing I've got!'

No lie. Things I didn't know the name for, but knew I had: prosopagnosia, Charles Bonnet syndrome, secondary narcolepsy. That man was a gift to the world. smiley - smiley

I once asked my ophthalmologist about the Charles Bonnet symptoms, and she just looked at me really strangely. 'Oh, okay, that's not an optical problem, then,' I said.

Post 9

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"Anti-gravity lifts"
Ha! Victorian hype for "the rich male of the era" to afford mirrors on shoes smiley - biggrinto what is now called "up-skirting"

PS; smiley - winkeyeDidn't need it in the 1970's = mini-skirts smiley - rofl

Post 10

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

"There should be a word for catching things from reading about them".

Doesn't that fall under Hypochondria?

Post 11

I thought hypochondria was only for physical diseases, but I may be wrong on that. Aha, I find 'somatic symptom disorder', the terminology is getting fancier. smiley - laugh Which they are now classing as a mental disorder, so we're in a vicious circle here...

Post 12

smiley - bigeyes

Post 13

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"NO disrespect to anyone of course"

I've not got Hypochondria, I know I'm poorly smiley - whistle

Post 14

Those who know you understand. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post